Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Correct password NOT accepted / login not possible at all

All of a sudden i am asked of a password for my MacBook Pro with Maverics when logging in. I am 1000% sure i typed in the correct password, but the system keeps nodding and I can not login. I tried the resetpassword command in terminal under recovery utilities, but eventhough i change the password and hint, the password (newly changed) is not accepted (hint however is shown - the new one which i input at the same time as new password in recovery).

This thing happened after I set up my MacMini Server and created Active directory and added username/password which was later joined by the forementioned MacBook Pro with maverics. Green light was on, i restarted the MacBook pro and all of a sudden it wanted password at login screen. I typed 1000% sure the correct password but nothing helped. Tried resetting by forementioned procedure - no luck.

Currently I can not access my MacBook Pro 13 and can not login. If it is of any importance, i changed the optical drive for another HDD (months ago, works like a charm).

I would be very VERY grateful for any help at all.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 26, 2014 1:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 12:10 AM

Well that is the problem ... I deleted the backups and reformatted the drive with timemachine backups as I added that drive to server in order to have centralized TM backups. The computer in question was next in line where i was just about to add the destination BUT ... I could not log in. So i have NO backup, which is why i am asking for help in the first place. I would have just restored the computer if i had something to restore from.

Some say I should do it through recovery mode as it is just "simple" unix and no bells and whistles, but i tried procedure with recovery mode (terminal only) but commands in that tutorial don't work.

Any other clues to what I should do?

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2014 12:10 AM in response to Linc Davis

Well that is the problem ... I deleted the backups and reformatted the drive with timemachine backups as I added that drive to server in order to have centralized TM backups. The computer in question was next in line where i was just about to add the destination BUT ... I could not log in. So i have NO backup, which is why i am asking for help in the first place. I would have just restored the computer if i had something to restore from.

Some say I should do it through recovery mode as it is just "simple" unix and no bells and whistles, but i tried procedure with recovery mode (terminal only) but commands in that tutorial don't work.

Any other clues to what I should do?

Feb 26, 2014 1:21 PM in response to snezak

Forgot Your Account Password

For Lion, Mountain Lion, or Mavericks

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

When the menubar appears select Terminal from the Utilities menu.

Enter resetpassword at the prompt and press RETURN. Follow

instructions in the dialog window that will appear.

Or see:

Reset a Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Password

OS X Mountain Lion- Reset a login password,

OS X Mavericks- Solve password problems,

OS X Lion- Apple ID can be used to reset your user account password.

For Snow Leopard and earlier with installer DVD

Mac OS X 10.6- If you forget your administrator password,

OS X- Changing or resetting an account password (Snow Leopard and earlier).

For Snow Leopard and earlier without installer DVD

How to reset your Mac OS X password without an installer disc | MacYourself

Reset OS X Password Without an OS X CD — Tech News and Analysis

How To Create A New Administrator Account - Hack Mac

If you need to reset the Keychain, then see:

Assuming that you are using a recent build of OS X, go to /Applications/Utilities and launch the app called Keychain Access. Go to the Window pulldown menu and select "Keychain First Aid". Enter your password, set the radio button to "Repair", and click "Start".

Feb 26, 2014 1:35 PM in response to Kappy

Unfortunately all that you wrote I have tried and failed. That is the problem - I went with the -resetpassword- in terminal, dialog opened, followed instructions, typed in NEW password and NEW hint, reboot and at login screen the hint is new but password is incorrect (new and old). As if somehow it was not "saved" at all, but the hint is... What else can i try?

EDIT: In the Reset Password window there are besides Select volume -- Select the user account -- type new password - verify new passowrd and password hint -- there is also a Reset Home Folder Permissions and ACLs (Access Control Lists). Does this have anything to do with the login password? I suppose not?! There is a RESET option for that though which I have not yet tried.

Message was edited by: snezak

Feb 26, 2014 3:56 PM in response to Linc Davis

Roughly the same problem but with a single MacBook Pro 15" Retina. Post 10.9.2 update, it asked for password when restarting during the update process. It had not been set to ask for password previously. And it wasn't accepting what I knew to be the password (My system password hasn't varied in going on 20 years.) I was able to reset the password via the Apple ID password recovery process (and set it to the same password). Based on the above discussion, I tried Keychain First Aid but it found nothing amiss.

At first, the System Prefs folder opened as a blank window. After another restart, it opened normally but was frozen. After a couple more restarts, it started working.

At present, I am able to log in and get my desktop. However, most applications either won't start or stop responding rather quickly. As soon as I'm logged in, I get a succession of six error messages wanting a password. "The wording for each is xxxxx wants to use the "Local Items" keychain. Please enter the keychain password." The fill in words are talagent, identyservicesd, CalendarAgent, com.apple.internetaccounts, AddressBookSourceSync and com.apple.iCloudHelper. I have never set a password for the Keychains. My system password doesn't work for these messages. Either clicking cancel or OK three times takes me to the next error message. After 18 clicks, I'm back to the first message to start all over.'

Looked at the iCloud box in Systems Prefs and it is an oxymoron. On the left, it's normal, e.g my account name, button for details and button for Sign Out. But, above the list of apps, it states "enter your password to continue using iCloud. Verify the Apple ID password for sactobob@mac.com." and is followed with a box Enter Password. On entering the password, you see the dark gray gear spinning -- forever -- and you eventually click Cancel.

Any ideas on repair of this situation? I think it has something to do with whatever interacts with iCloud. Why? Because anything related won't work. Pages is not aware of its cloud documents, Mail.app prefs > accounts wants me to start an account while one can plainly see dot mac email collected pre-update.

Feb 27, 2014 7:34 AM in response to snezak

Meanwhile i tried this procedure:

Resetting In Single User Mode

If you’re not able to start your computer and load OS X’s interface (or SSH into your system), then you’ll need to start up your computer in Single User Mode (hold Command + S while booting).

Next, perform the following steps in order to reset your password.

Mount your file system by typing the following command and pressing enter:

mount -uw /

Next, we’ll load the Open Directory services by typing the first command if you’re running OS X 10.7 or higher; or, the second command if you’re running OS X 10.6 or earlier:

launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.opendirectoryd.plist

Next, we’ll reset the password by typing in the following command:

dscl . passwd /Users/username

******HERE IS THE PROBLEM*******

i get the following error before being asked for New password:

Couldn't stat(launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.opendirectoryd.plist) : No such file or directory nothing found to load

After the forementioned message in bold i am asked for new password.

New password:

You’ll be prompted to enter a new password; follow the on-screen prompts to complete the password reset.

Finally, restart the system by typing the following command:

reboot

I completed the procedure and of course nothing good happens I still can not log in 😟

Feb 27, 2014 7:55 AM in response to snezak

If you want to preserve the data on the startup drive, and it's not already backed up, you must try to back up now, before you do anything else. It may or may not be possible. If you don't care about the data, you can skip this step.

There are several ways to back up a Mac that is not fully functional. You need an external hard drive to hold the backup data.

1. Boot from the Recovery partition or from a local Time Machine backup volume (option key at startup.) Launch Disk Utility and follow the instructions in this support article, under “Instructions for backing up to an external hard disk via Disk Utility.”

2. If you have access to a working Mac, and both it and the non-working Mac have FireWire or Thunderbolt ports, boot the non-working Mac in target disk mode. Use the working Mac to copy the data to another drive. This technique won't work with USB, Ethernet, Wi-Fi, or Bluetooth.

3. If the internal drive of the non-working Mac is user-replaceable, remove it and mount it in an external enclosure or drive dock. Use another Mac to copy the data.

Feb 27, 2014 11:03 AM in response to Linc Davis

My feel from 20+ years of dealing with Mac problems is that very possibly I, for whatever reason, have encountered an incomplete OS update. None of the suggestions above truly apply. As noted above, I did try several but no improvement.

Do you think the best solution is to just download the 10.9.2 update from Apple Support, run it locally and see if all comes out well? (I found a link to that: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1725.)

Mar 1, 2014 10:56 AM in response to snezak

I took it to a knowledgable mac friend who somehow restored the drive from terminal to external drive, restarted/installed new and copied the drive back. these seemed to have been a problem because computer was in use by my girlfriend and her apple id whereas mine was used to install maverics for the first time and all went sour due to this and got locked out, probably over some update... Have backups now and just need to fix permissions somehowe.

Thanks for help anyways.

Correct password NOT accepted / login not possible at all

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.