Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to confirm Time Machine is backing up my iPhoto library

Hi, I am new to the apple world. Anyone know how I can confirm timemachine is backing up my Iphoto library properly?

Also, after setting up time machine, i now receive a Caution message every time i open Iphoto, stating " The iPhoto library is a Time Machine backup, and so cannot be used as the main library. Reopen iPhoto with the Option key held down to choose another library." When i do that, the only library i have to choose from in the pop up box is "Iphoto library copy". Is that what i am supposed to see? Where is the original library i have been using since i bought the Mac?

(cant find a Timemachine tutorial on this topic).

MANY Thanks.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Just initiated Time machine

Posted on Feb 26, 2014 2:19 PM

1 reply

Feb 26, 2014 2:57 PM in response to UtahJack

It appears you're trying to open a backup copy of the library in the TM structure and that can't be done. To check the backup copy restore it to the Desktop and open it there by launching iPhoto with the Option key held down and select the Desktop library. If it is working as expected you can close iPhoto and delete the library from the Desktop.

Enter TM, go to the date you want to restore, located the library in the Pictures folder, Command (right) - click on the library and select "Restore iPhoto Library to.." from the contextual menu.

User uploaded file

Save it to the Desktop.

OT

how to confirm Time Machine is backing up my iPhoto library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.