Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Compressor codecs

I have a problem with Apple Compressor and its output generated ProRes files. We have an AJA Ki Pro Quad which can playback Apple ProRes files, but it appears to only playback files which refer to "Core Media Video", "Core Media Audio" and "Core Media TimeCode" in the metadata "Title", Which I pressume is Apples Core Media Framework used to generate the output files ?. Now files created using Final Cut Pro contain references to "core media", but files created in Apple Compressor do not, meaning that a different engine (codec?) is used to create the output files in Compressor and FCP. Now the confusing part is AJA Support have compressor on a Mac which does not have FCP, yet there compressor generates files referencing core media !?? So my guestion is, what codec does compressor use ? how can two installations of compressor (4.1.1) on two difference Macs create two different formatted files ? note the settings for both compressors where identical too, and the source material for converting where also the same too.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Lee

Compressor, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Feb 26, 2014 3:29 PM

3 replies

Feb 27, 2014 12:39 AM in response to Studio X

Hi,

Yeah sorry, wasn't clear. The output ProRes files created by Apple compressor 4.1.1 on our Mac has no mention in the Metadata of "Core Media", and these ProRes files do not work in an AJA product that supports ProRes files. AJA support have Apple Compressor 4.1.1 on a Mac, yet the ProRes files they create do mention "Core Media" in the metadata, and the ProRes files they create do work in there AJA product. My question is why are the two created files metadata different ? yet both Macs have the same OS, Final Cut Pro is not installed on either Mac, the source file to convert is the same, and the compressor setting used for the prores output are the same !

Have also used Final Cut Pro (Trial) and this outputs files with reference to "Core Media" in the metadata, and these files work in the AJA product.

User uploaded file

Image above, left is Compressor 4 from our Mac, Right is Compressor 4 from AJA Mac, as you can see the metadata is indeed different, suggesting a difference engine was used by Compressor to generate either file.

Mar 6, 2014 4:33 AM in response to leeboy22001

I have now discovered that compressor 4.1 generates two different output files, with different metadata depending on whether sharing is enabled ! I have also discovered the sharing parameter when running the command-line compressor makes no difference, and the only way to disabled sharing is to disable Allow Job segmentation in the setting files.

As mentioned above we use an AJA product that plays back ProRes files, if files are generated in compressor with sharing on (in GUI) or "allow job segmenation" on (in settings file selected) using command-line, the output file does NOT work in the AJA product, if sharing is off (in GUI) or "allow job segmenation" is off when using command-line, the output file does work in he AJA product !!???

Also the metadata in sharing on generated file, has no mention of "core media" handling, whereas when sharing or job segmentation is off the metadata does mention "core media" handling !??

Apple Compressor codecs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.