Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Drawing Borders in Numbers

I'm a longtime Excel user switching to Numbers, and I must be missing something. I'm mostly functional, but I seem to be unable to draw borders on my Numbers spreadsheets! I select a cell, click on the format button, and then on the right side of the screen I specify the border I want on the cell. Nothing happens. Little help?

--Paul

Posted on Feb 26, 2014 3:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2014 3:59 PM

Paul,

It's a little tricky but not too hard.

User uploaded file

1) select the cell(s) you want to format the border on

2) select the border style

3) select the color

4) select the weight

5) apply the selections to the desired borders

8 replies

Feb 26, 2014 6:23 PM in response to Wayne Contello

Thanks, Wayne, I really appreciate your reply, and this definitely gets me closer. I can put some borders on.

But not others. I'm able to put top, left and right borders on, but for some reason not the bottom border. Here's what I tried: 1) select the cell; 2) select border style of solid line; 3) select color of black; 4) select 3 pt; 5) click on desired border (last one). Nothing happens. I also tried clicking on the full box outline button (2nd one). It gives me the top, left and right borders but not the bottom!

Also, some cells seem to be completely immune to some borders (even following your directions), but not others. I can't figure out why.

I'm clearly closer, but I guess I'm still missing something? Is there some trick about adding bottom borders? (Have I jinxed things by starting with an Excel sheet that I imported into Numbers?)

--Paul

Feb 26, 2014 7:03 PM in response to Paul Greene

Try copying the data from your table to a new table in a new document to see if there is any excel garbage that is interfering. Also try making the weight much larger than you need and see if the border will apply, then reduce the border weight

Can you send me the number file? I can look at it . my email is in the "Biography" of my profile.

Feb 27, 2014 4:30 PM in response to Wayne Contello

I tried both of your suggestions and unfortunately had the same problem. But when I created a new Numbers spreadsheet from scratch, the borders work fine. I suspect Excel has left gremlins in this converted sheet. I switch over to Numbers completely, and stop using Excel, the problem may go away.

Do you still want to see the number file?

Drawing Borders in Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.