7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2014 4:47 PM by Number88
synchronizer Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hello. I have a computer running Mac OSX 10.6.8 with a Windows XP partition. I have found that I don't use the Windows partition often enough to warrant keeping it. I have a 500GB drive (Hard Disc) with fewer than 40GB on the mac partition. I gave Windows 150GB, but I have 70GB left, and I see that I no longer need more than 50% of the files I have stored.

I have decided that I would like to delete my Windows partition, but I am wondering whether there is a certain failure rate associated with restoring the original size of the hard drive partition. To what degree is it safe to delete Windows?

On another note, I would very much like to begin using Linux (for example, Ubuntu) for programming. Is there a way to use Bootcamp to install Linux, or is this not possible? I understand that it may in fact be feasible, but Apple has not released drivers that would enable Linux to make use of specific key functions and preference options, unless Linux users have released customized drivers.

These are my options:

-Delete Windows, but create a new partition for XP that is approximately 75GB rather than 150GB. The partiton would have nothing but windows-only      applications -- no large files or any videos and photographs.

-Delete Windows and somehow look into Linux

-Delete Windows and use Virtual Box to install Lninux in a virtual machine.

What course of action should I pursue?

I am looking forward to responses. Thank you.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)