Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Movie can be played only on displays that support HDCP. How do I play movie on TV?

I'm trying to play an HD movie downloaded from my MacBook Pro on my TV. My MacBook has no HDMI output so I used a mini display port to VGA adapter. I've even tried playing it on my the extended monitor I use with my laptop.

No matter what I do, it keeps telling me that "Movie can be played only on displays that support HDCP." How do I play the movie on the TV so that we can all watch it without having to buy a physical copy?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Feb 26, 2014 5:34 PM

1 reply

Feb 26, 2014 5:47 PM in response to DustyB

The problem that you are facing is that VGA is not capable of passing HDCP signals, and therefore regardless of whether your TV is HDCP compatible or not you are never going to be able to play your movies.

You might try downloading a lower resolution version of the movie, so that it does not contain HDCP and you do not encounter this problem.

"Movie can be played only on displays that support HDCP. How do I play movie on TV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.