Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! Deleted 'Updated Projects' event in iMovie 2013 (v10)

Hi all,

Upon opening iMovie 2013 (v10) for the first time I agreed to run the 'Update Projects and Events' prompt.

In iMovie '11 (v9) I had one event feeding into one project... iMovie 2013 appeared to import the event as I expected and also import the project as a separate event called 'Updated Projects'.

In my haste (and whilst confused as to why a project had been imported as an event) I selected the 'Updated Projects' event and selected 'Move Event to Trash'... does anyone know how I can retrieve this? I've had a look in the iMovie 2013 'package contents' and files relating to the project appear to still be there (soundtracks and images etc) so hopefully all is not lost.

Incidentally, I'd be interested in knowing whether (or why not) iMovie '11 projects cannot be imported as projects into iMovie 2013... this 'Updated Projects' event feels like a bit of a fudge...

Thanks

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 26, 2014 5:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 4:15 AM

To answer your last point first - iMovie 10 has a totally different storage arrangement where projects reside in events and events reside in libraries. Hence the need to upgrade from iMovie 9. Updated projects are put in the Updated projects event but you can move them to other events and move events between libraries in order to organize your stuff. See:

http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.0/#mov3fa25bae7

Now to your main question: If you still have your iMovie 9 projects and events folders you can re-update from them into a different library then delete the old library. You have to remove an empty file called something like "upgraded to iMovie 10" from each of the folders first since imovie 10 adds these to prevent unintentional repeat updates.

see: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6012?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Geoff

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2014 4:15 AM in response to Andy Kingston

To answer your last point first - iMovie 10 has a totally different storage arrangement where projects reside in events and events reside in libraries. Hence the need to upgrade from iMovie 9. Updated projects are put in the Updated projects event but you can move them to other events and move events between libraries in order to organize your stuff. See:

http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.0/#mov3fa25bae7

Now to your main question: If you still have your iMovie 9 projects and events folders you can re-update from them into a different library then delete the old library. You have to remove an empty file called something like "upgraded to iMovie 10" from each of the folders first since imovie 10 adds these to prevent unintentional repeat updates.

see: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6012?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Geoff

Oct 1, 2014 3:15 AM in response to theBigD23

my friends i'm facing an issue i'd like u to help me with if possible...

i upgraded my library and all, and i don't have any intention to go back to iMovies 9 or anything ..

so basically i wanted to delete the " iMovies events and projects" folders since i no longer need them

the case is ..

before deletion i had 80GB of free space on my disk...

and after deleting (30GB in size for those 2 folders) ..the free remaining space was the same! 80GB :-/

my time machine is disabled, and local snapshots is disabled too...

the only and only thing suspicious i've done, was emptying the trash can normally and not securely :-/

any thoughts? i'd be really thankful...

Help! Deleted 'Updated Projects' event in iMovie 2013 (v10)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.