Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install Torch Browser Pop ups

My Firefox browser has been overtaken by the "install Torch Browser" and "www.newhtsoft.com - Free home tab" pop up screens. These pop ups continue to request I download and install their software. Currently, this appears to be only affecting Firefox, but I've read this can also affect other browsers. I am not a programer or experienced root user, but if there is a fix, I would welcome all feedback. Below is my system profiler report:

Hardware Information:

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2009)

iMac - model: iMac10,1

1 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU: 2 cores

4 GB RAM

Video Information:

NVIDIA GeForce 9400 - VRAM: 256 MB

System Software:

Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549) - Uptime: 0 days 1:12:42

Disk Information:

ST3500418ASQ disk0 : (465.76 GB)

(null) (disk0s1) <not mounted>: 200 MB

Macintosh HD (disk0s2) / [Startup]: 465.44 GB (4.44 GB free) (Low!)

HL-DT-ST DVDRW GA11N

USB Information:

Apple Inc. Built-in iSight

Apple Internal Memory Card Reader

Apple Inc. BRCM2046 Hub

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Apple Computer, Inc. IR Receiver

FireWire Information:

Thunderbolt Information:

Kernel Extensions:

com.rim.driver.BlackBerryUSBDriverInt (0.0.64)

Problem System Launch Daemons:

[System] org.samba.winbindd.plist 3rd-Party support link

Launch Daemons:

[System] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist 3rd-Party support link

[System] com.rim.BBDaemon.plist 3rd-Party support link

Launch Agents:

[System] com.rim.BBLaunchAgent.plist 3rd-Party support link

User Launch Agents:

[not loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist 3rd-Party support link

User Login Items:

Android File Transfer Agent

Dropbox

BlackBerry Device Manager

Internet Plug-ins:

Flip4Mac WMV Plugin: Version: 2.3.2.6 3rd-Party support link

FlashPlayer-10.6: Version: 12.0.0.70 - SDK 10.6 3rd-Party support link

JavaAppletPlugin: Version: 13.9.8 - SDK 10.6 Outdated! Update

Flash Player: Version: 12.0.0.70 - SDK 10.6 3rd-Party support link

QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.6.6

DivXBrowserPlugin: Version: 2.0 3rd-Party support link

CitrixICAClientPlugIn: Version: 11.4.3 - SDK 10.0 3rd-Party support link

Google Earth Web Plug-in: Version: 7.1 3rd-Party support link

OfficeLiveBrowserPlugin: Version: 12.3.6 3rd-Party support link

Silverlight: Version: 3.0.50106.0 3rd-Party support link

iPhotoPhotocast: Version: 7.0

iTunes Plug-ins:

Quartz Composer Visualizer: Version: 1.2

3rd Party Preference Panes:

Flash Player 3rd-Party support link

Old Applications:

Citrix Receiver: Version: 11.4.3 - SDK 10.0 3rd-Party support link

Time Machine:

Time Machine information requires OS X 10.7 "Lion" or later.

Top Processes by CPU:

2% EtreCheck

1% WindowServer

1% mds

1% WebProcess

0% ps

Top Processes by Memory:

246 MB WebProcess

90 MB Safari

74 MB WindowServer

61 MB Microsoft Excel

57 MB Finder

Virtual Memory Information:

2.15 GB Free RAM

779 MB Active RAM

502 MB Inactive RAM

359 MB Wired RAM

323 MB Page-ins

0 B Page-outs

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 26, 2014 10:20 PM

4 replies

Feb 26, 2014 10:40 PM in response to grexican

I'd like to bring something to your attention that has nothing to do with the pop ups, but is showing in the report you posted: your very low empty disk space you have remaining. You should very seriously consider deleting some files as quickly as possible - you need to maintain an absolute minimum of 10 - 15 GB of empty space for the OS to function properly (more is better) - you only have 4.4 GB. So, delete or move space hogging videos/music/photos off your hard drive.

As for the pop ups: do you have block pop ups enabled in Firefox Preferences? Have you installed any add ons or extensions lately? Have you cleared cache/history/cookies lately?

Feb 26, 2014 10:59 PM in response to grexican

The too-full hard disk drive is an issue to contend with, a backup to external hard disk drive is recommended, then you can remove any user created (itunes, iphoto, movies) once reliable libraries are moved or copied to the external. There is a way to move libraries, etc correctly so they can be used by their associated applications.

That is not why I am writing now.

I'm curious about how your computer arrived at possibly having adware installed, and what kind it has in it, or at least in the Firefox browser (or other locations) since the Install Torch is a proof of some kind of adware... And you should look into

•The Safe Mac: Adware Removal Guide

http://www.thesafemac.com/arg/

From a web site suggesting another path to cure that, the following suggests anyone with the issue you describe to download & install some probably bogus removal tools to be rid of the stuff your computer is doing, but really the answer is in the Adware removal guide....

"Victims often notice Torch Browser or Torch add-ons and extensions such as Torch Music installed onto their computers without consent. if this is the case, it is likely that Torch Browser bundled with previous downloads including freeware, shareware, codecs, and torrents. Torch Browser primarily bundles with media related software including video converters and P2P clients, as well as third-party browser add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and Toolbars." -- this, from a possibly bogus site where one could get an Uninstaller; but their removal tool can be a source of bigger problems, since it Installs more stuff.

The adware known as Conduit has been said to probably be behind this but there may be others. There are a few things the Safe Mac pages can help you find out about the item affecting your browser. These adware malware items can affect other browsers, in the same way it may have affected your FireFox. This appears to have been going on for a time, and likely has evolved since it first appeared a year or two ago.

So, this is something to look into.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Feb 27, 2014 9:20 PM in response to babowa

Thank you for the response babowa I have a new addition to the family, so that's pics and vids taking up a large portion of hard drive, unfortunatley irreplaceable. Yes I am on the search for good back up. Regarding your advise, I have block pop ups disabled in Firefox Preferences, I do not have any known add ons installed, I just looked and the extensions I have installed are Firetube, ProxMate, Youtube to MP3 Pro converter, Youtube Video and Audio Downloader (there is a trend here) but I have rarely used these, and they were installed a very long time ago, a year maybe. And I clear my cache/history/cookies regularly.

These popup windows keep, well, popping up. I've never experinced anything like this before. I can no longer use firefox browser, and I don't want to do a clean uninstall because as my primary browser I have a lot of bookmarks set.

I have also read some of information also offered by K Shaffer but many of these measures are proactive measures that unfortunately do not offer many solutions for my current popup crisis. I believe I will need to look deeper, some of the more promissing advise involve root activity, to which sadly I have no experience.

I hope I will find something.

DG

Feb 27, 2014 9:56 PM in response to grexican

You will need to address the hard drive situation quickly; the next time you need to download a necessary OS update, you will run into a problem.

As for the add-ons you have installed:

I have installed are Firetube, ProxMate, Youtube to MP3 Pro converter, Youtube Video and Audio Downloader

We are not allowed to discuss anything related to circumventing copyright/DRM issues - Youtube's terms do not allow downloads, so I cannot comment on those add-ons.

My suggestion regarding the the pop-ups would be to move your important files to an external drive (backup everything you don't want to lose), and use your Snow Leopard install disk to boot from it, wipe your drive completely, and reinstall the OS. Do not port over any of your applications (especially web related apps) so as not to reinstall any file that may have something to do with your pop-ups.

Install Torch Browser Pop ups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.