Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to MOVE folders and mailboxes from Localhost into On My Mac?

I have used Emailchemy 12.1.1 (default settings using the built-in IMAP Server recommendes by the developer) to export from Eudora 6.2.4 into a local "converted_email.imapserver" folder in the Mac Desktop (IMAP Server) in my hard disk, and then used Apple Mail to create a Localhost Mail Account and then clicked Get Mail, which imports all the thousands of messages in different folders, subfolders and mailboxes inside the "converted_email.imapserver" folder (IMAP Server) into Apple Mail (that took two full days!).

After that, the "/Users/~/Library/Mail/V2/IMAP-import@localhost" has about 350,000 items as shown in the Finder (about 5,5 GB on disk).

Apple Mail places them inside "Converted" inside "LOCALHOST" on the left pane, just below "ON MY MAC" on such pane.

How to MOVE such folders and mailboxes from "Converted" into "ON MY MAC"? Drag and drop of "Converted" does nothing. If I click the left arrowhead of "Converted" to show its contents (which are folders, subfolders and mailboxes originally from Eudora, as explained above), select them all and drag and drop over "ON MY MAC" or a folder/mailbox created there, only the first 6 mailboxes are copied. In any case, only mailboxes are copied, but not the folders containing subfolders and mailboxes. Actually, Apple Mail stops copying them once it finds a folder containing subfolders and mailboxes.

On the other hand, what I really want is to MOVE (not to copy), if possible. I mean, I do not want the "Converted" contents once they are inside the "ON MY MAC", because they would be duplicated. I will actually delete the full "LOCALHOST" and Emailchemy IMAP Server after that, since its purpose was just to import the original Eudora folders, subfolders and mailboxes.

Note: It is really confusing that Apple Mail does not use folders/subfolders and mailboxes naming as Eudora does, but names them all as mailboxes.

I am using Mac with OS X 10.9.2 and Mail 7.2.

Thanks.

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Booting from internal Fusion Drive

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 12:02 AM

2 replies

Feb 27, 2014 2:40 PM in response to ApMaX

I have seen that I can move mailboxes into other mailboxes (they all show with folder icons on the left pane of Apple Mail) as far as they all are inside "ON MY MAC" on the left pane of Apple Mail.

But I cannot move folders from "LOCALHOST" into "ON MY MAC", as explained in my previous post above.

If what I want is not possible (move all contents of "LOCALHOST" into "ON MY MAC") from within the open Apple Mail application itself, can I do it by drag and drop in the Finder? I mean, is it advisable to move the contents of:

"/Users/~/Library/Mail/V2/IMAP-import@localhost", and in particular "Converted.mbox" inside it

into:

"/Users/~/Library/Mail/V2", and in particular "Mailboxes" inside it?

Any drawback or problem or danger about it? Because with that I can accomplish what I want (move folders from "LOCALHOST" into "ON MY MAC"), but I do not know if it is not recommended doing it by drag and drop in the Finder. In case of doing it, should I do it with Apple Mail open or closed?

BTW, my V2 folder contains:

IMAP-import@localhost

Mailboxes

MailData

POP-myaccoutnamehere@servernamehere.com <-- actual e-mail/server edited

POP-myaccoutnamehere2@servernamehere.com <-- actual e-mail/server edited

Thanks.

How to MOVE folders and mailboxes from Localhost into On My Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.