Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Am I hacked?

I have a question. I own an Imac with snow leopard installed. I did one of the most atrociously stupid things you could ever posisbly do. I downloaded and opened a video from an someone I barely knew off of the internet. They told me it was one thing, I quickly found out it was another. I deleted the video as soon as it popped up. However, I wanted to know, how would I know if my computer is hacked, has malware, or been phished now or not?

iMac (20-inch Mid 2007), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 3:08 AM

6 replies

Feb 27, 2014 5:28 AM in response to jamaalsky

I downloaded and opened a video from an someone I barely knew off of the internet. They told me it was one thing, I quickly found out it was another.

What does that mean? Did they tell you the subject matter of the video was different than what it was? Or was the file itself not actually a video file?

Unfortunately, if you deleted the file, there's not much we can tell you unless you still have the link you downloaded it from, and the file is still there. Immediately deleting the file is typical reflex in this situation, but is often the worst thing you could do, since that means an expert will not be able to examine whatever you opened. Even if we re-download it from the place you got it from, there's no guarantee that it hasn't been replaced with a benign copy by now.

Feb 27, 2014 12:40 PM in response to andyBall_uk

Thanks guys for the replys. Basically I was talking to someone I met in a meetup and they said they played a guitar. They said check out my song. The .mp4 read. "mysong.mp4". I was reluctant to download but went ahead. Once I did, it was not the person playing a guitar, instead it was explicit "cam model"footage. I instantly quit quicktime and deleted the file. Unfortunately Thomas you're correct. Now that it is deleted, it's going to be hard to know 😟. I was wondering if there was any way of testing things out or checking files to see if any malware or anything has been installed. I didn't see an .exe file after the .mp4 or anything. However, maybe it was disguised 😟.

Feb 27, 2014 12:55 PM in response to jamaalsky

It's likely that this guy simply was messing with you.

If your profile is correct, and you're running Mac OS X 10.6.8, you should see a warning before opening anything that is an application. If you didn't see such a warning, it was probably just exactly what it seemed to be... a dirty movie that wasn't actually the "song" that guy said it was.

If it was any kind of malware, it's highly likely that it was Windows malware, relying on a vulnerability in some Windows movie player. I know no details about such things on Windows, and how plausible that might be, but that's the most likely scenario if it was malware.

Unfortunately, if you did happen to get infected with something, there's no reliable method for determining whether you're infected and removing the infection. Anti-virus software could help, if it were something that had been seen before, but may or may not be capable of removing it.

Am I hacked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.