Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing Sky+ content into iMovie

Hello all.

I have a Sky+ HD box, which is a UK digital satellite receiver with an integral PVR.

It outputs the recorded HD content to my HD television via an HDMI cable.

Would it be possible to connect it to my Mac so that I can import that content into iMovie, trim the adverts and then archive it on an external hard drive?

I appreciate that it would be difficult to do it other than in real-time, and I'm not asking for a file copy method, but is there any way of getting the playback HD signal that would normally go via HDMI into my TV to go into iMovie on my Mac instead?

Is there such a thing as an HDMI-to-Firewire cable or adaptor?

My research so far leads me to believe I can certainly output from my Mac via the Mini DisplayPort to an HDMI socket on my TV, but so far I've found nothing on which I can input into my Mac from an HDMI source.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 2:30 AM

2 replies

May 28, 2014 12:03 AM in response to Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac wrote:

... Would it be possible to connect it to my Mac so that I can import that content into ...

Most probably not:

That digital-signal comming thru the hdmi-port contains a DRM; both devices, receiver + television do a handshake (it's really called so, no fun 😁), clearing allowness ("this is just for watching, not recording!", "no prob, I'm just a display, no recorder!") - a BlackMagic interface doesn't has this handshake ...

Those digital-TV contains even more oiptions: no recording, no HDef recording but SDef, noFastForward (to skip ads), an expiration date (recording can only be watched the next 7 days) etc etc etc ...

... depends on your service (sky+), ... over here, sky Germany, doesn't allow 'processing' recordings of HDef material ..

.. there are ways to 'hack' that, some 'boxes' emulate that handshake and ... illegal, to bring it to the point 😁

Importing Sky+ content into iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.