Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happened to JamPacks in GarageBand 6.0.5 after installing MainStage

I installed MainStage 3 and it seems to have eliminated all the JamPacks in GarageBand 6.0.5. But the Jam Pack files are all still where they were before. How can I restore my instruments to what they were before? I had all Jam Packs installed. Thanks!

GarageBand (Mac) '11, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 5:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 6:43 AM

What are you missing? The Instruments or the loops?

Rebuild the Loop index: See: Rebuilding the Loop Index in GarageBand

And is your instrument library still there?

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/

User uploaded file

8 replies

Feb 27, 2014 6:50 AM in response to léonie

Instruments were missing. After multiple tries in MainStage, selecting various hidden components, I think I am almost back to where I was, with all the Jam Packs I had visible or mostly there.

Is there any way to simply tell GarageBand to rescan its instrument library? Because all the files that were there before, are still there, in the folder path illustrated above in the screen shot.

Thanks

Feb 27, 2014 6:58 AM in response to Rubicondo

Is there any way to simply tell GarageBand to rescan its instrument library? Because all the files that were there before, are still there.

No, there is no such way.

GarageBand scans the Instrument library automatically, when it is relaunched. But with the new process model "automatic termination" introduced with MacOS X 10.7, GarageBand may not really quit, when you quit it, but remain in the cache. The only way to ensure, that the Instrument Library will be read again, is restarting the system.

Have you compared the number of items in th eInstrument Library to your backup? If all fails, restore the complete library like it used to be from your backup - everything in

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/

Feb 27, 2014 7:05 AM in response to léonie

So: make a backup once everything is reinstalled via this MainStage app store process...

Then, then in the future I should be able to simply restore the contents of Library/Application Support/GarageBand... and Library/Audio... and be back where I was, correct?

After installing MainStage... GarageBand was not refreshing the existing Jam Packs between restarts... the jam packs were still gone until I reinstalled them piece by piece from inside MainStage.

I am wondering if any manual restore option really exists. Are we sure this will work?

Feb 27, 2014 7:17 AM in response to Rubicondo

I cant say anything to MainStage 3, because I installed the JamPacks using MainStage 2, and there was no similar trouble.

I wonder why you had to reinstall the loops in the first place. Did you make a clean install of the system and reinstalled GarageBand '11? There was a bug, that the Migration Assistent forgot to migrte the Instruments library and the JamPacks were missing.

See: Migration doesn't copy Instrument Library

Then, then in the future I should be able to simply restore the contents of Library/Application Support/GarageBand... and Library/Audio... and be back where I was, correct?

Right.

Feb 27, 2014 9:23 AM in response to léonie

Thanks, I did... Here's what I filed...

I installed MainStage 3 and it seems to have eliminated all the JamPacks in GarageBand 6.0.5. But the Jam Pack files are all still where they were before.

After installing MainStage 3.0 ... GarageBand 6.0.5 was not refreshing the existing Jam Packs between restarts... the jam packs were gone until I reinstalled them piece by piece from inside MainStage.

After "downloading additional content" in MainStage... installing Jam Packs and going back and selecting various hidden components, I am almost back to where I was...all the Jam Packs I had, are now visible or mostly there.

It seems it should be possible to manually restore a backup of the software instruments in their proper folder hierarchies. And an update should not break an existing good installation! Thanks.

What happened to JamPacks in GarageBand 6.0.5 after installing MainStage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.