Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks and Beachballs

I'd like to advise Apple of an issue. Is the Apple Support Communities the best method?

I have a 2011 circa MacBookPro 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, 4GB RAM. It originally came with Mac)S 10.7 (I believe), after upgrading to MacOS 10.8 I saw a large increase in the number of spinning beach balls (SBB) so much that I was advised to upgrade to MacOS 10.9 Mavericks for better memory management. About 3 weeks ago I had reached a point where the MacOS was sluggish all of the time, in fact it took 15 minutes to start the computer and achieve a functional desktop. It seemed like I was greeted with a SBB of varying lengths for just about every task I selected. On Monday, 24 Feb, I contacted Apple and they advised me to reinstall Mavericks from scratch, that it was possible that the OS updates had left some baggage behind.

Sure enough this fixed the issue for 3 days. My MBP seemed to be back to its old self! However this morning I ran into another hard core spinning beach ball, 15 minutes later without being able to shutdown firefox or tell the MacOS to shutdown, or do anything, I finally pulled the plug and forced a restart. This stall was so horrific, maybe it would have recovered, but I did not have an hour to sit there staring at it. If I am at fault it is for not shutting down my MBP, but putting it to sleep at night. Usually I restart it about once a week or so. I may have to abandon this practice and shut down every night. After the restart every thing seems back to order for now. In the near future I plan on upgrading this hardware to 8GB RAM.

I am not a programmer, but there seems to be something woefully inadequate in the MacOS when it allows itself to reach this state. I understand memory leakage and imagine it would not be that difficult to monitor memory usage and put out a warning that available memory is low and a restart is recommended or hold enough memory in reserve so that there will always be enough control to tell the computer to restart. I'd like to be sure Apple gets this message. Is this the best way, is there another avenue, or should I email/call them directly?

And looking for advice on how avoid SBB in the future. Thanks! 🙂

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 7:28 AM

3 replies

Feb 27, 2014 10:52 AM in response to Dave Peck

Dave,

Sorry to hear of your troubles, I'll try to add my two cents worth.

Feedback to Apple: http://www.apple.com/feedback

Of course, there is the old fashioned letter (physical paper) to the president or some other officer of the company. I'm sure someone will see it. I've found this works well, as it is so rare these days that it gets attention - usually.

Regarding SBB (Spinning Beach Balls) and RAM, I agree with you that 8GB RAM and probably an SSD of some sort are a good starting point or base for decent performance. I've noticed that is usually the set-up on display at the Apple retail stores. FYI: I never or very rarely ever reboot my MacBook and it works well enough. But it does seem slow at times (particularly at boot up and initial opening of applications), yet surprises me at other times with how fast it does some things - once they are opened initially and in RAM somewhere.

I have a MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 with 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Intel Video, with OS 10.9.1 (Mavericks). It works well enough with Mavericks and Apple only software, but add Chrome and all bets are off. It will work, but is much slower as Chrome loads lots of stuff right up front. Once everthing is loaded it runs well enough though. I've come to believe that any software not native to the OS is suspect!

I have to add though that for the past month or so, I have moved over to a PC laptop for access to MS Word (touchscreen is okay too) and the MacBook is just sitting there collecting dust. I'm not suggesting you do that - I was just curious and have been a long time user of multiple platforms.

In reading your post, it seems your MBP (MacBook Pro) ran fine for 3 days then suddenly had problems. What happened or was installed in that 3 day period? How did you restore your data? I ask because once I restored from a Time Machine backup to a MBP and had all sorts of problems including bad performance, and sleep issues. The only answer that I came up with was to manually transfer all data and just data (files) into the new OS (after a fresh install). Data was transferred manually using an external HDD. Just a thought.

Of course, your post also mentions that you had SBBs on your first upgrade to 10.8 before Mavericks and in-fact that was the reason for upgrading to Mavericks. I would guess whatever problems you had with 10.8 were just incorporated into Mavericks and magnified. A clean install of whatever OS (not an update) and using only native OS apps at first then slowly adding one at a time non-OS-native apps as needed while keeping an eye on resources via Activity Monitor can be of great help and lots of times identifies many problems - perhaps even with an OS native-app.

How are you doing your install of Mavericks - off the internet, locally? My internet is so slow that I ended up creating a boot/recovery USB 3.0 fast flash drive and that helps tons with the whole process. Here is a one link of many of that process: http://www.macworld.com/article/2056561/how-to-make-a-bootable-mavericks-install -drive.html.

Another issue that slowed down one of my Macs was found in a conflict between iWorks '09 and the new Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. I updated to the newer versions with the older versions still installed and it caused lots of problems including decreased performance. I think the older iWorks included indexing in Spotlight while the newer one did something different, so the HDD was forever indexing and killing the system (unusable!). I really don't know what the actual technical problem was, but I ended up removing the older iWorks and using the newer exclusively. The problem cleared up. I did end up re-installing iWork '09 later but it is not the default program, and I have to specifically request that a Pages document open with it.

You had also mentioned memory leakage in passing. Activity Monitor on your Mac will monitor memory and processes and is a handy tool for checking into that. Watch for non-native OS applications in my opinion. It seems like this might be a real possibility given that you posted how a reboot fixes the problems albeit temporarily.

Have you checked you HDD to ensure that it is clean (e.g. verify permissions, and repair disk). I usually like to run this using Disk Utility from a recovery disk (e.g. USB flash drive) or outside of the OS. I guess you could also run it off the internal partition. Hold Option then press power to boot to boot manager then select recovery partition. - Command + R brings up the same thing but off the internet and can be slow depending on you ISP speed (your laptop may need the firmware update seen below in a hyperlink to do this). I just wanted to make sure the HDD is sound and without corruption.

Here are some more keyboard combos that are handy.

• Cmd + Ctrl + power button = force restart
  • Cmd + Option + P + R (hold all then press Power Button) = clears your PRAM or NVRAM (a good place to start).

Clearing PRAM alone has fixed issues for me in the past.

Firmware: done?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4904 is a firmware update for MacBooks circa 2011 and earlier guessing this has been done or is not necessary.

Hope something in here touches a chord or kicks off a spark to help find your MacBook's problem(s).

Good luck.

Feb 27, 2014 5:56 PM in response to Davestformore

Dave,

Thanks for the feedback! I've got a speedy internet connection and when I performed the clean install, it was from scratch, by restoring using Disk Utility and downloading the OS from the App Store. For a slow internet I would download the OS on a thumb drive first.

>In reading your post, it seems your MBP (MacBook Pro) ran fine for 3 days then suddenly had problems. What happened or was installed in that 3 day period? How did you restore your data?<

After the reinstall (from scratch) everything was great. It ran for 3 days, without a restart and then on the 4th morning about 5 minutes into become active, working on Firefox, I got the SBB for about 15 minutes before I force restarted. I had hoped the OS would sort out whatever it was doing, but it would not allow me to shutdown Firefox or select restart. I finally hit my time limit and then force restarted. After restart everything is back to normal again, no issues. I will be upgrading to 8GB RAM at the end of the month. I'm hoping this will correct the issue. Any other questions that I've overlooked, please let me know and I'll address them.

-Dave

Mavericks and Beachballs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.