Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring iPhoto to External HDD (Error Code -36)

I went into the finder, opened Pictures, found iPhoto Library, and dropped it onto my external harddrive. about 250GB in it says "The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “iPhoto Library” can’t be read or written. (Error code -36)."

I tried it twice.

My external HDD is setup as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

I tried a repair just in case and that was ok.

Clearly its a file in iPhoto and not the HDD. How do I find it or better yet, what am I looking for?

Control Click - Show Packaged Content... Now What?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 7:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 8:03 AM

Better still: use a Back Up utility to do the move for you. That will take care of any permissions issues on the files. As long as the utility you use copies the library in the same format (i.e. doesn't zip it or package it in some way) it should work. One such app: Chronosync- but there are many others. Search on MacUpdateor the App Store. Many have a free trial that will allow to achieve this without a purchase.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2014 8:03 AM in response to MacDidIt

Better still: use a Back Up utility to do the move for you. That will take care of any permissions issues on the files. As long as the utility you use copies the library in the same format (i.e. doesn't zip it or package it in some way) it should work. One such app: Chronosync- but there are many others. Search on MacUpdateor the App Store. Many have a free trial that will allow to achieve this without a purchase.

Transferring iPhoto to External HDD (Error Code -36)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.