Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen saver not starting after 10.9.2 update!

After installing the most recent update from Apple, 10.9.2. My screen saver will not start if the time is set to anything higher that 1 minute.

I have done a RAM refresh and all so trtied it with other users on the Mac and it still wont start.

Anybody else having this issue?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 8:22 AM

12 replies

Feb 27, 2014 10:11 AM in response to sparkey-markey

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. You must hold down the shift key twice: once when you boot, and again when you log in.

Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a Fusion Drive or a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Feb 27, 2014 2:53 PM in response to sparkey-markey

Funny you mention the time interval. I came to this post because I was having the very same issue. My screensaver would not start with hot corners, timeout, anything. However, once I tested your "1 minute" activaton time, my screensaver now works at any time interval specified. Not sure if it will continue to work after a reboot, but I will try.

Apr 6, 2014 6:29 AM in response to sparkey-markey

My MacBook Pro with 10.9.2 developed this issue as of yesterday. I am using the defailt Flurry screensaver. It was working fine until I powered up yesterday.

I have tried various things to try and understand and fix this;

• reviewing logs in Console around the time of boot and also after 5 mins of non-activity - nothing obvious
  • using Disk Utility to check the disk and repair permissions - both in normla boot and the Recovery Console
  • disabling/re-enabling/selecting a different screensavers and testing - no resolution as yet

I've seen on the web, that this is a widespread issue that is random since the release of the 10.9.2 update. I using the Combo Updater to upgrade. I have just logged a Bug Report with Apple, so there is another offical case (along with an export from System Information) for them to progress.

I'm also aware that there are other 'graphical' issues with this update and that 10.9.3 in beta and is currently progressing quickly. I guess that 10.9.3 will fix this?

Has anyone done anything that got this working?

Many thanks

Apr 6, 2014 12:50 PM in response to NeilHobbs

Hello Neil,

Thank-you for your comments to my question.

Have you tried the screensaver on a different time setting? The issues that I am having only looks to occur on the 5 minute time setting. If I use the 1 or 10 minute setting it does work more often. However I have noticed one this, if I use Chrome browser then it will never work at all until I restart my Mac.

Thanks,

Mark.

Apr 6, 2014 5:00 PM in response to sparkey-markey

Hi Mark,

I've left it on the '5 mins' setting for the moment. However what I've seen today is, it does cut in every know and then and other times it doesn't and the screen goes to sleep. The screen going to sleep is unchanged.

I have seen from a number of postings on the Internet, people are saying that is random - which is what I'm experiencing. In terms of the applications that I'm running; I have three desktops open, where I've got Outlook 2011, iTunes and Safari open in and the behaviour is the same across all of them.

I've left the Bug Report as it was, as at the time I logged it - it wasn't working at all and hadn't been for a day. I'll update this thread, when I hear back on the report, or 10.9.3 comes out or I work it out.

Neil

Screen saver not starting after 10.9.2 update!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.