Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie HD 6 freezes when adding audio

Hello dear all,

I'm using Mavericks and I import a movie file into iMovie HD, then an audio file (I've tried mp3 and aiff) and both play, video and audio. Then I have to edit the audio file to sync with the video, and then is when iMovie HD freezes.

I've repaired the permissions 😐 restarted every single time and still nothing...

I've deleted the preferences (now iMovie opens only the menu, but the project doesn't appear at all, only that colourful loading icon forever 😐)

Can you help me out, please?
Rubia

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), iMovie HD 6.0.3

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 8:17 AM

9 replies

Feb 27, 2014 12:55 PM in response to Klaus1

Hey dear Klaus1,

Thank you for the time!

Yes, I've recorded my own voice (with a professional microphone and audioterface plugged in my MacBook Pro) in Audacity,exported the audio files (aiff and mp3 to try) and added to the timeline, below the video. AND: I've done this for years, but maybe once every two month...
I'll be looking forward to your help ℹ

THANKS!

Message was edited by: RMSU

Feb 28, 2014 2:04 AM in response to RMSU

Hi Rubia,

I saw your other post (directed to me) about this in the following thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3054749?answerId=25006003022#25006003022&ac_cid=tw123456#25006003

Thought it best to reply here, given that you've already had a response from Klaus.

I've just run a quick test using Audacity. Like you, I exported the voiceover from Audacity to the Desktop as an AIFF file, then dragged it into the iMovie timeline. You mentioned iMovie HD, so I ran this test in iMovie HD 6.0.3, which I haven't used for sometime now, as I now use either iMovie '11 (version 9.0.9), iMovie 2013 (version 10.0.2) or Final Cut Pro X. So I assume you are using iMovie HD 6.0.3. I'm also using Mavericks (version 10.9.2). My iMovie project was set as MPEG-4 and I imported 3 stills into the video timeline.

I had no trouble importing the audio file to iMovie (by dragging), nor moving it around in the timeline. However, after splitting the audio then attempting to delete the unrequired segment, iMovie froze. It appears that there may be an issue now with running iMovie HD 6.0.3 with Mavericks. It will be interesting to hear from others that may be running these together. Sorry I can't help further with this.

John

Feb 28, 2014 6:47 AM in response to John Cogdell

Thank you dear John,

I was afraid of that 😟

When trying to check for updates, the progress bar never ends searching,...

Any other hint on video editing software for mac with the interface like iMovie HD?

It is important for my work to SEE the audio syncing with the video, so the ideal interface is to see VIDEO AND AUDIO separetely, and that I could EDIT both. I have iMovie 09 and it is much too complicated for me and interface doesn't help me at all...

Any hint?
That would be very much appreciated.
THANK YOU!
Rubia

iMovie HD 6 freezes when adding audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.