Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Mavericks Not Saving Projects

Vlogging is my job. Like everyone else who owns a mac, we all upgraded to Mavericks and by extension: iMovie like apple had wanted us to do. Yesterday on my typical vlog "due date" I had spent the typical 6 hours in postpreduction to finish my vlog as intended. I'm on my 500gb macbook pro (if that matters at all) When I was done with my project, I closed out to search for an "export using quicktime" function on the internet. Much to my surprise, when returning to iMovie my event and project for my vlog were completely empty. I spent the next 20 minutes in a panic trying to find my edited video. Nothing

So I figured that maybe I should have just "shared" my video first. It seemed kind of silly since one of the big selling features to iMovie has always been simplicity, functionality and the fact thatyou don't have to worry about "saving" is very reassuring. Like anyone else would do, I checked TM backups, no event for my vlog, no project etc even from the backup that happened while I was working on my vlog.

I decided I'd bite the bullet and start from scratch with my original footage. Everything had gone quite smoothly and again, 6 hours in I had reached the point of finalizaiton with my project. Since I had completely lost 6 hours of time I decided that I needed to get this on YouTube as quickly as possible. This time I took things very slowly and catiously. I had clicked Share to YouTube, realized that it would take a bit, turned down the brightness of my screen and went to bed.

Today I woke up to find no trace of my vlog in my Video Manager on YouTube because not a single bit of file had touched YouTube. I wemt back to iMovie to reshare my project and boom, no sign of my project ever having been touched.... Just another empty event folder.

12 hours of work in one day was spent editing my vlog via iMovie just to find that at the point of completiion my events/projects haven't been saved.

What do I do to ensure this doen't happen again, why the **** is this happening and are there any other users who are expericing this horrible issue? It's already bad enough that most of our projects were deleted when converting to the new version and that we have to hunt for basic features and to see whether or not we're on the right footage library with the right project timeline.

Thanks Danny

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 9:38 AM

3 replies

Feb 27, 2014 10:36 AM in response to TheDannyFinn

I figured out what may have been a contributing factor. I decided to reedit the video today and when working with a video from iPhoto (or in my case multiple clips) whilst you are working on them they are still being IMPORTED (blue notification timer in the top right)

I beleive I may have closed iMovie before the clips were done being imported despite my video being already edited in iMovie. The second time may have been a similar case.

Feb 27, 2014 5:13 PM in response to TheDannyFinn

I have this problem as well!! Anytime I close out iMovie it now deletes my project. I have lost SOO much work and time because of this issue. Now if I want to actually be able to do something I have to be able to edit and render in one sitting because if my computer goes to sleep or I close iMovie then it deletes everything I just worked on with absolutely no trace of it to be found anywhere.

Feb 27, 2014 6:29 PM in response to bonster117

It took over an hour for it to "import" the 3 minute backing song to my video after I hit share to youtube. As I got to work I checked on my phone and it seemed to have been uploaded... 3 minute movie took hours to edit took over an hour and a half to "share" to youtube.

The blue notification timer said it was importing the audio track for the song >.>

Also anyone else typing on these forums and then noticing it randomly continuing your sentence on like 5 lines higher than your current line randomly?

iMovie Mavericks Not Saving Projects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.