Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Usb Stick Drive All Disk Utility Options Grey-ed Out.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for anyhelp you can provide!

I have a 32gb Usb 2.0 Stick Drive that is stuck on read-only. It is invisible and only appears in Disk Utility. However all disk utility options are greyed out, I can't erase, repair, partition nothing!

I've tried verifying/repairing/erasing in disk utility in recovery mode/drive as well.

I've tried using terminal commands to force an erase/partition, but they seem to fail/make no difference.

I've even cleaned the usb connectors with watered down iso-propyl alcohol!

Its flipping anoying because this was a impulse purchase, and was a bloody overpriced and remarkably slow Lacie mini key.

Screenshots below, any help would be really appreciated and if its an actual hardware failure can anyone recommend a replacement?

cheers!

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 12:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 12:35 PM

Second screenshot...

You should be selecting the 32.35GB Media, NOT the disk2s2.

THEN you should see Erase options.

Do you have access to a PC?

If so I have a USB format tool that will do a deep format (FAT or NTFS) on the PC, but you should be able to then use Disk Utility to format it in HFSExtended

9 replies

Usb Stick Drive All Disk Utility Options Grey-ed Out.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.