Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GarageBand(GB) import from Mac to iOS

Hey all!

I am trying to figure out a work around for importing songs created in GB on my Mac to GB on an iPad. My buddy records all his stuff on his iPad and I can get his stuff into GB on my computer with no problems. But he cannot open anything that I have created on my Mac on his iPad. I have tried a number of different things including using iCloud and iTunes file sharing. We have both already spent a nice chunk of change getting GarageBand all set up with plug-ins and such and are really not interested in buying more software (unless there is a patch for GB).

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks everyone!!

Frank

GarageBand (iPad), iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 1:06 PM

6 replies

Feb 27, 2014 1:13 PM in response to Frankz30

But he cannot open anything that I have created on my Mac on his iPad.

Frank, that is simply not supported.

You can upload audio files into GarageBand on the iPad, or projects created on another iPad, but not GarageBand projects created on a Mac.

See this link: GarageBand for iOS and Mac: Project compatibility

Projects you create in GarageBand for Mac also cannot be opened in GarageBand for iOS.

-- Léonie

Feb 27, 2014 2:07 PM in response to Frankz30

With the previous GarageBand Version 1.4 and GarageBand 6.0.5 it used to work to start a project on the iPad, then send it to the Mac, edit it a little on the Mac and upload it again using iCloud. But that does not work any longer with GarageBand 2.0 for iOS and GarageBand 10.0 on the Mac. As soon as the project will be opened in GarageBand 10.0 on the Mac, it will be converted to Mac format and saved in a differnet format.

Mar 30, 2014 1:38 PM in response to Frankz30

I have found a way to make this work. Though, it may not be the best for some folks.

Find your recording in GB on your mac. Right clikc on the file and select "show package contents". This will open your project like a folder. In there, you can find the actual track you recorded. From there, you can take the track, put into the app files through iTunes and sync to your device. And there you go, your recorded track is now in GB on your iOS device.

The down side to this is if you use effects in GB on the mac, you will lose these effects. The track is the pure track, so you will have to add the effects back in.

If you record your instruments already effected like I do (i.e. a mic'd up amplifier with effect pedals), then you are good to go.

GarageBand(GB) import from Mac to iOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.