Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages from iWork09 on older Mac and using new Pages doc. on it

I have Pages [iWork09] on my MacPro [main machine] which is older and runs 10.7.5....I have Pages 5.1 on my MacBookPro which is running Mavericks - the problem arises because once I open a Pages doc. in my MBP it becomes a newer version and when I save it back to the MP, I can't open it = I tried to download and install the new Pages on the MP and it won't because it requires ver. 10.9 - but I can't get that on my MP == so what do I do to work with documents worked on the MBP and yet saved to the MP?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 17G RAM

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 2:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 2:49 PM

Pages v5+ document format is entirely different from previous versions and Pages ’09 v4.n cannot open it. Since Pages v5+ is missing about 100+ features from the previous v4.n, you have no assurance that content you create in the older version will survive intact into Pages v5+, or via roundtrip by Pages v5+ exporting to Pages ’09 document format.

If you had iWork ’09 installed on the MBP before installing the Pages v5+ application, the iWork bits will remain unscathed in /Applications/iWork '09 folder. If true, I would standardize on Pages v4.n on both platforms for now. If you only have Pages v5+ on your MBP, then I would recommend 1) export to Pages ’09, for sort of compatibility with your iWork on the MacPro. Or, you could simply standardize on .doc between the two. Pages v5+ defaults to .docx on export, both this is selectable to .doc.

Any Pages document that you double-click to open on Mavericks will be opened (and mangled) by Pages v5+. A right-click on the icon, then choosing Open With... Pages (4.3) would keep things sane.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2014 2:49 PM in response to Victoria Herring

Pages v5+ document format is entirely different from previous versions and Pages ’09 v4.n cannot open it. Since Pages v5+ is missing about 100+ features from the previous v4.n, you have no assurance that content you create in the older version will survive intact into Pages v5+, or via roundtrip by Pages v5+ exporting to Pages ’09 document format.

If you had iWork ’09 installed on the MBP before installing the Pages v5+ application, the iWork bits will remain unscathed in /Applications/iWork '09 folder. If true, I would standardize on Pages v4.n on both platforms for now. If you only have Pages v5+ on your MBP, then I would recommend 1) export to Pages ’09, for sort of compatibility with your iWork on the MacPro. Or, you could simply standardize on .doc between the two. Pages v5+ defaults to .docx on export, both this is selectable to .doc.

Any Pages document that you double-click to open on Mavericks will be opened (and mangled) by Pages v5+. A right-click on the icon, then choosing Open With... Pages (4.3) would keep things sane.

Pages from iWork09 on older Mac and using new Pages doc. on it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.