Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks slows chess game

Since installing Mavericks, Bullet Chess on the ICC (Internet Chess Club) is basically impossible. There is a lag. My moves, rather than instantaneously snapping into place, crawl into place. Premoves are especially problematic. If someone has a solution to this, please help. I have seen comments online from people having the same problem who play speed chess on websites other than the ICC. So, if Bullet is a hobby of yours, and you are considering Mavericks, let this be a word of warning. I have lost an enjoyable pasttime.

iMac (24-inch Early 2008), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 12:42 PM

1 reply

Feb 28, 2014 1:10 AM in response to Robert Arnold5

Is Bullet Chess the only program effected? Is the system sluggish in general? If the latter then there may be a root cause to locate.

Make sure you have a backup.

Try and SMC Reset.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Run disk diagnostics with Disk Utility. Look in the Applications/Utilities folder and run Disk Utility. Click on the upper left disk icon. Does the S.M.A.R.T. status say “Verified”? If not the disk/SSD is unhealthy and needs to be replaced. Click on the icon indented below, usually called “Macintosh HD” and Verify Disk. If it finishes with a green “OK” message then all is well with the disk. If it shows errors in red then you have found a problem to address once the system is backed up.

Please download and run Etrecheck and post back the results.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Mavericks slows chess game

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.