Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firmware password reset on september 2010 MacBook Pro

I am unclear as to the possibility of removing the firmware password on this MBP by removing RAM. Does anybody know if this model is still of that production line where you could do it that way, or is this here no longer possible?

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

MBP+MBP, MM+MM - 10.6+10.8+10.9

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 1:02 PM

12 replies

Feb 27, 2014 2:04 PM in response to ChangeAgent

Do you know the Firware Password? If not then you have little choice but to remove the memory and find out. If you know the Firmware Password, then you need the Firmware Password Utility to remove it.

If you are using Mavericks then boot from the Recovery HD. Select Firmware Password Utility from the Utilities menu in the screen's menubar.

I don't know when Apple moved the PRAM data out of main memory and into a separate chip. If the chip is volatile RAM then it is maintained by a small lithium battery in the computer. Removing the battery for about 15 minutes should erase the contents. Oh, and remove the main battery, too.

Firmware password reset on september 2010 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.