Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture RAW files preset

I've been importing RAW files from my Sony A77 for awhile now. When they import they look like the flat image I would expect. When I open a photo though and wait for a few seconds, Aperture "adjusts" the photo with heavier contrast/color/etc. Even when I adjust the RAW Fine Tuning, I can't seem to get the image back to the original flat one I want to work with.

Help please? Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 2:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 4:03 PM

The "original" you're seeing at import is a JPEG generated in-camera, using proprietary information that is not available to Aperture.

You cannot get back to it, exactly. You could define a preset that was desaturated and flat if you wanted, but is that what you really want?

5 replies

Feb 28, 2014 3:23 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

My impression is that I would want to have the flattest image possible, so I could have as much leeway as possible in editing. The three pictures are the image I see originally, the one the computer autocorrects after a few seconds, and then one where I've brought down the hue boosts and such.

I may be preceiving it wrong, but I feel like that "original" image would be the most ideal for editing. Thoughts? User uploaded file

Feb 28, 2014 6:22 PM in response to arizer

What William said 🙂 , but with the caveat that your RAW Fine Tuning settings play a determinant role in the extent of the adjustments you can make _with the other adjustment tools_, and in how you perceive the Image.

(The latter is equally important to the image developer, imho.)

Somewhat contrary to your thinking, maximizing Boost and Hue Boost, and minimizing Moire and Noise, would (I think -- I'm no expert here) give you the greatest possible range for your adjustments.

I try to match the RAW Fine Tuning settings to the environmental light. In the north-eastern United States, where I live, I use a RAW Fine Tuning preset that is about 9 for Boost and 7 for Hue Boost. During a recent trip to Patagonia, however, I quickly found that I couldn't get the equivalent of something I saw in the world, and then I remembered to raise both Boost and Hue Boost.

A local painter friend said to me, on arriving in Hawaii, "It's like having your eyes tattooed".

The settings for your RAW converter are important -- and knowing how and when to change them is, too. There is no reason, in terms of data-retention, to aim for a particular "look" in the converted-from-RAW image. But the conversion does play an influential role in the appearance of your data.

HTH,

Kirby.

Aperture RAW files preset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.