Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My AppleTv keeps dimming as if it is in energy saver mode. My DVD player and TV do not do this. How do I disable the energy saver feature on AppleTv? BTW this is my second AppleTV device so it does not appear to be a product defect.

My AppleTV keeps dimming as if it is in energy saving mode. My TV and DVD/Netflix player do not do this. How do I disable the energy saver feature in AppleTV? BTW: This is my second AppleTV device so it does not appear to be a product defect.

Apple TV

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 3:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2014 10:26 PM

I keep seeing versions of this same question, and it's always the same answer: it's the TV. Well, it happens to me as well. But it only happens when viewing programming via Apple TV. My cable is totally fine: no dimming. Only with Apple TV. So what's the answer?

12 replies

May 19, 2015 3:36 PM in response to vazandrew

don't understand your reply to me.

yes i have the same problem as the OP. my APPLE TV dims for ALL CHANNELS.

the SAME channels on my ROKU do not dim at all.

both ATV and ROKU are HARDWIRED with ethernet cable. not wireless.

I have reset and restarted ATV numerous times.

nothing changes - dim dim dim and dark.

there are NO Picture Settings in Settings on my ATV

- only VIDEO or HDMI

i tried all variations - i unplugged the HDMI and still = nothing but dim dim dim

i have sleep time to NEVER.

dont know what else to do... very frustrating

Oct 6, 2016 8:58 AM in response to warren136

Found a fix for me . . . unplugged power to flatscreen tv and apple tv4 for 10 seconds. Plugged back in, back to normal.

First, I tried calibrating my TV, then trying other HDMI ports and the same issue kept happening.

The issue started after I used my ATV4 at a keynote presentation. It was plugged in to a projector and maybe the ATV4 had adjusted itself for the projector and the adjustments remained when I connected it to my TV. Doesn't make sense since the power was cycled.

Remember: You may need to set your TV back to normal settings if you tried maxing out the brightness or contrast etc.

I like to use the preset "game" on my flatscreen for apple tv.

Good luck

May 19, 2015 4:14 PM in response to lyricanon

What type of TV? Check on your TV to see if there are settings that apply on a per-input basis. It may be that it allows, for example, a "movie" mode (which tends to be darker), a "sports" mode, etc. and allows you to assign those to different HDMI (or other) inputs.

I have three ATV3s on three different TVs (all Samsung, used to have one on an LG) and never saw anything like this - but none of those TVs allow me to apply settings to specific inputs, at least that I know of.

Jan 2, 2016 3:38 PM in response to jjkraw

jjkraw is correct, this is a TV setting. Many TV's have video settings (including energy saving) for each separate input. In other words each inputs settings are autonomous. The energy saving option in your video setting works via feedback from an ambient light sensor on the TV. Just adjust your energy saving options (settings>video>energy saving) while you are viewing the input that your Apple TV is on. Do the same for devices on other inputs until you're happy.

My AppleTv keeps dimming as if it is in energy saver mode. My DVD player and TV do not do this. How do I disable the energy saver feature on AppleTv? BTW this is my second AppleTV device so it does not appear to be a product defect.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.