Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 5 got so hot, it burned my hand. Also, my battery is having issues. Help me!!

Hi all,

So I took my phone to the genius bar this morning, and explained some of my problems:

• Phantom undread text messages (appearing as though I had unread texts when I did not).
  • Opening a new text message, only to find a blank white screen.
  • Battery doing strange things (like jumping from 5% to 10% then to 7% in a matter of seconds, even when plugged in).
  • Only charging while on airplane mode, and still charging at a rate of about +1% every 20 minutes.
  • OVER HEATING - very badly. I took my OtterBox off to let it cool down (I could feel the heat through the case), and touching the back of my phone was PAINFUL - it was so hot.

They dumped my phone, and completely reloaded iOS7. This seemed to fix the phantom text message issue, but my battery is still acting very strange. It drains incredibly fast (I mean if its not plugged in for about 10 minutes, it will lose about 20% battery.)

So of course, I made another appointment at the Apple Store for tomorrow, but I'm just wondering-- has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks all,

Isabel

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 3:27 PM

2 replies

Apr 23, 2014 3:04 PM in response to Imicque

Hi Isabel. I have been having the same problems with my phone; especially the overheating! When I went to the apple store they just cleared everything off my phone which seemed to fix the problem for a few horus but still the problem occured.

Just wondering how your appointment went and whether they were able to fix the problem for you and if so, how?

Thanks,

Tricia

My iPhone 5 got so hot, it burned my hand. Also, my battery is having issues. Help me!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.