Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing my movies

I am looking for a way that will allow me to rip all the content of a DVD I make in iDVD and store it on a hard drive. Not just the video footage, the DVD menus/sub menus as well and be able to play them by clicking on the file. This way I can drop the file in my Dropbox or Google drive account and share it to many people with out having to burn countless DVD's. Is there a software that will do this? Preferably free!

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 5:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2014 12:41 AM

Hi

Only solution I know of - is using iDVD

In this - Save as a DiskImage.

This can be stored on Mac OS Extended formatted hard disks - on others I don't know - mos6t probably will break at 4Gb limit in DOS / FAT32 etc.

BUT

• this need to be opened - and I guess that You must have a Mac to do this => Will create a simulated DVD to be played with DVD-player tool.

• AND it will be LARGE - as large as any standard DVD => Meaning that sending it via Internet will takes eons of times (or You need a fiber-net-work with 100Mb per second at least - will take times even on a G-bit network.

• Receiver must be able to recieve LARGE files, to un-pack them and have the down-load speed to make it even reasonable.

I rather - Burn a DVD - send it via TNT - most often more cost effective (to me)

Yours Bengt W

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2014 12:41 AM in response to scshelnut01

Hi

Only solution I know of - is using iDVD

In this - Save as a DiskImage.

This can be stored on Mac OS Extended formatted hard disks - on others I don't know - mos6t probably will break at 4Gb limit in DOS / FAT32 etc.

BUT

• this need to be opened - and I guess that You must have a Mac to do this => Will create a simulated DVD to be played with DVD-player tool.

• AND it will be LARGE - as large as any standard DVD => Meaning that sending it via Internet will takes eons of times (or You need a fiber-net-work with 100Mb per second at least - will take times even on a G-bit network.

• Receiver must be able to recieve LARGE files, to un-pack them and have the down-load speed to make it even reasonable.

I rather - Burn a DVD - send it via TNT - most often more cost effective (to me)

Yours Bengt W

Feb 28, 2014 5:56 AM in response to scshelnut01

TNT - is a snail-mail delivery company - nearly all the world within 24 hour. There are so many more - just as an example.

DiskImage - Yes - When un-packed You see it as an extra Hard Disk - behaving exactly as if You inserted a DVD. So now You can test run it before You make the actual burn.

Often the Diskimage file is named as Your DVD (to be) nnnn.img

When You double click on this a generic HardDisk Icon will show up on desktop - and DVD-player tool will see it as any Video-DVD - and work exactly as if.

Yours Bengt W

Sharing my movies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.