Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After deleting files and uninstalling apps, no storage has been freed up.

I like to have quite a bit of free storage on my computer to make sure it runs as fast as possible (even though the storage *shouldn't* affect the performance all that much), as well as a lot of guaranteed space for any programs I may want to install in the future. I had only about 50 GB free today (out of 251) when I started out, and I deleted at least 30 GB (probably more) worth of clunky files and unused applications and games. However, while I've been doing this, when I go to About This Mac > More Info... > Storage, the free storage it shows me is still 50 GB (and earlier, it was showing me about 48 GB). I should've grabbed some screenshots, but didn't.

I've restarted the computer quite a few times, and updated to 10.9.2 just now to see if that would solve anything. (It didn't.) I'm unsure where to start looking for where all this storage is hiding, as I don't want to screw anything up. Just hoping someone can point me in the right direction as to where I might start. 🙂

Thanks again for your help (and if this is a duplicate thread, I'm sorry)!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), 8 GB memory, ~251 GB storage

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 6:49 PM

7 replies

Feb 27, 2014 8:17 PM in response to skysailing

You may notice a difference in available space statistics between Disk Utility, Finder, and Get Info inspectors. This is expected and can be safely ignored. The Finder displays the available space on the disk without accounting for the local snapshots, because local snapshots will surrender their disk space if needed.

About Time Machine's "local snapshots" on portable Macs

After deleting files and uninstalling apps, no storage has been freed up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.