Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Code Security

When you export a book in iBooks Author you end up with an *.ibook file. Is the code embeddded with the contents of that iBook file capable of being read by any type of file editor. Two examples of code/data that I would not like read so as to protect my intelectual property would the jscript file contained within a Widget or the exif file associated with an image.

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 7:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2014 12:04 AM

Any unencrypted data can be "hacked" by anybody with the skills, time and software. The real question is why do you think anybody would go to all that trouble?

If you have an image in your book, the really low tech way to steal it...is to photograph the screen!

Apple can install DRM into books..and when you deliver you decide to apply it or not.

If you have security concerns, you should really address them to the iBooks support team.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2014 12:04 AM in response to adnixon

Any unencrypted data can be "hacked" by anybody with the skills, time and software. The real question is why do you think anybody would go to all that trouble?

If you have an image in your book, the really low tech way to steal it...is to photograph the screen!

Apple can install DRM into books..and when you deliver you decide to apply it or not.

If you have security concerns, you should really address them to the iBooks support team.

Feb 28, 2014 3:12 PM in response to adnixon

I still suggest you should contact iBooks support and put your security related questions to them. However, whatever is or is not built into the systems as "security" - other tham the DRM facility, your only choice is to accept what is available to you via iBooks Author or dont use it.

These days even supposed secure websites/software etc,. is being opened as mega internation business and organisations have found. Recently the biggest Bitcoin bank was robbed!

It may be understandable to many, why Botcoins were robbed.. but with respect, whatever your widget magic is, a relative few may like to use it - and even fewer woukd have the knowledge to unravel it and repackage.

If your widget is the cause of concern about theft... then its capable of generating income form those willing to buy it.

Feb 28, 2014 3:26 PM in response to vinnyvg

Thanks for the comprehensive response it was very much appreciated.

I guess you are right in that an individual is unlikely to unravel a widget but a corporate entity might and use it for its own purpose. The magic is in the algorithm it uses to perform a specific task and that is where the value is.

You can buy a Adobe Muse Widget or those that can be embedded into an eBOOK perhaps there is nothing to stop anyone pulling either of them apart and reconfiguring it for their own purpose or stealing the algorithm code.

Feb 28, 2014 3:50 PM in response to adnixon

....there is nothing to stop anyone pulling either of them apart and reconfiguring it for their own purpose or stealing the algorithm code.

I am not Muse savvy.. tried it..oppose allowing Adobe to control anything - so binned it about a week after it first came up for free beta testing. I know Dreamweaver and the extensions.

If your widget as potential.. than why not market it as both a Muse widget and a iBA widget, Bookry and others seem to making big money - maybe they or a similar outlet will market it for you.

Better still, offer it to Apple, more good widgets in iBA would be welcome.

The magic is in the algorithm it uses to perform a specific task and that is where the value is.

Apple seem to have success in litigation with various device makers who purloin code.... buts also proof that those who can.. will never be stopped from data/code theft.

Good luck with your book and your widget.... maybe when its available you can add a store link to this thread... I would like to see it in action...

Feb 28, 2014 4:02 PM in response to vinnyvg

Thanks for the suggestions.

We have all of the Adobe CC programs as a subscription service. We used to develop our Website in iWeb which is no longer supported by Apple and as a consequence chose to use Muse in preference to Dreamweaver simply because we could achieve deployment in a timeframe that suited our resources. The same for iBooks Author opposed to Adobe Indesign.

We have the Widget currently in development for both a Muse and iBooks deployment and are currently working on our marketing strategy so your input was welcome.

Code Security

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.