Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spilled hot chocolate on my Mac, Took it to apple because it didnt work...

So today, I accidently spilled a bit of hot chocolate on my Late 2013 MacBook Pro. It shut its self off the instant the liquid reached the charge port and wouldnt turn back on. I thought my lappy was toast... So I took it to the Apple store and they diagnosed it saying that is was completely dead and that they tested some parts and it would be 2 grand to fix. (Flash Storage, Logic Board, Display Assembley, Housing, Top Case with Battery, and MagSafe 2 Board) I said no thanks it would be cheaper to just buy a new one... So, I brought it home all distraught that my laptop didn't work and listed it to sell for parts on Kijiji. I decided to give it one last try before getting ready for bed and it miraciously turned on... The funny thing is, it works perfectly fine like it did before it shut off.

Is this a fraud from Apple trying to get me to buy a new computer/spend 2000 dollars to fix my current one? Or could this simply be a mistake?

Im leaning more towards the first one because they employee told me that he tested it and the computer was in fact a brick...

Any thoughts?

Also, Is there maybe a detector that shuts off the computer to prevent water damage if a liquid is brought near the charging port?

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 10:48 PM

1 reply

Feb 28, 2014 12:12 AM in response to Spikehhh

Hi, sorry to hear you had a spill on your laptop. Unfortunately as you can understand, this is no covered under warranty. When Apple Tested your machine it could well have been not working, the same as when it shut down after you poured liquid into it. And it may have dried out when you tried it again, hence why it sparked back into life. But liquid will corrode electrical parts and the sugar content in that is not good for the components, so even though it may work for now, the reliability would be very questionable.

I would recommend you look into your household insurance and see if it's covered under there. Good luck.

Spilled hot chocolate on my Mac, Took it to apple because it didnt work...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.