Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound w/ Iphone 4s after updating to iOS 7.0.6

I have an iPhone 4s running iOS 7.0.6 now after the security update. Coming from 7.0.4. On the previous iOS everything ran fine. I am no newbie to jailbreaking, to computers, to testing and replacing parts on circuit boards. It is what I do for work. But I can't for the life of me figure this out. I am coming from an Android phone and recently switched to this iPhone.
That's my back story, here's my problem. After updating to iOs 7.0.6 the volume rocker button seems to more often than not have no effect. The indicator dots under the ringer banner periodically disappear. This happens when I open app's, try to play music, most things that involve sound.

I can plug in my headphones and I will regain sound through the ear buds. But even then sometimes I will notice the music or sounds stop playing and I have to unplug the headphones and plug them back in. It's as if the Iphone thinks it is docked.

I have tried cleaning the docking port, I have cleaned the headphone jack. I have restored and rebooted the iPhone numerous times. I have tested them with a multimeter and even replaced them with equipment from another iPhone 4s. Same thing occurs. All I can come up with is that it is a software issue, not hardware.

Is anyone else having this issue? Is there a solution? I do not plan on going to an apple store as they always give me the run around and no offence to them, but I start talking in terms that they don't understand. The iPhone was growing on me but I never had issues like this with my Android, not to mention the absolute freedom I had to change and mod my phone's software however I saw fit. I don't want to switch back but I can not always have my headphones in to be able to hear notifications and sounds.

Again, just short of the one post I saw about sticking a butter knife into the only spot on the iPhone a butter knife will fit, I've tried and researched everything.

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks

-Patt

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 8:45 PM

11 replies

Feb 27, 2014 9:51 PM in response to Phutt89

You opened the phone and tested them, I'm guessing that you are referring to the speaker, since there is only one, the other is the microphone. And you replaced the speaker as well? If that is the case, even if you didn't plan on going to Apple, they won't even look at the device after your have opened it. You also mentioned jailbreaking, was that done to the device as well? If so, then it cannot be discussed here on the fourm. There is a support document about not hearing through the speakers, http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1630 but after your opening the device and tampering with it, it is hard to say if any of the support documents would help.

Feb 28, 2014 12:59 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I'm sorry if I sound intrusive, but did you even read my question? I did not mention the speaker or the microphone at all but yes I tested them anyways. When I said I tested and replaced them, I was talking about the two previous parts I had mentioned, the dock, and the headset jack because the device is acting as if it is docked on something like an iHome, or plugged into a headset. But FYI, I did also test the speaker and it was the correct putting out the correct ohms and voltage, that is not the issue. Especially since I have sound sometimes and there are no loose connections in the phone. Like I said, I don't plan on going to apple at all as they will not help me with a software issue. And furthermore I mentioned jailbreaking because I know how to do it. I've done it before, I've done it for friends. Did not say that this phone was jailbroken. I didn't think I could have been anymore clearer on the issues I was having and steps I've taken to try and resolve this problem but thanks for your help anyway's.

Mar 5, 2014 8:51 PM in response to Phutt89

Same issue here. Initially, I was able to fix it by plugging in headphones, and changing the volume while slowly unplugging the headphones at the same time. It caused the volume screen to completely disappear/become inactive. Upon restarting my phone, the volume bars worked again, as did the speakers. However, this solution worked only once. I'm back to the drawing board at this point. Hoping Apple fixes this issue soon. It's extremely annoying.

Apr 5, 2014 10:11 AM in response to Phutt89

Same issues. I was also lucky enough to

have the wifi issue. Apple's tech issues

seem to be a constant. It cost me $75 to

get my wifi connection (on off switch) fixed,

on my not even 5 month old phone. It was

My issue not theirs... So I was told, I saw

all kinds of posts about that on here, and all

over google!! We got 3 Apple 4S's and 1 Apple4.

All three 4S's have had issues. One...ok but all 3??

The worst part is, THEY keep getting away with it!

It seems as if they want u to have issues u can't fix

that way they get more of ur $ :(

I am voting for a new company.... Pear

No sound w/ Iphone 4s after updating to iOS 7.0.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.