Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3.5.1 says this library was opened with a newer version of Aperture, repairing it with this version may damage the library

I launched Aperture with Option Command on opening so that I could repair the unified database. After I select repair from the menu, I keep getting a strange error message that says "This library has been opened with a newer version of Aperture. Repairing the library using this version of Aperture may remove data supported only in newer versions of Aperture." I selected cancel and checked that I am running Aperture 3.5.1 and there are no updates showing up when I select Software Update. So how could I have opened it with a newer version of Aperture before? And what is it going to remove?

User uploaded file

Aperture is telling me that my unified library needs to be repaired. I figured that out myself when photos started disappearing in events and albums in iPhoto, even though the event or album showed several photos were there in the number of photos in the top right, no images appeared. But I have never received this error message in Aperture before and I do not know where it is coming from or what it is going to do.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 3.4 GHz Intel Quad-Core i7 mid-2011

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 11:43 PM

7 replies

Feb 28, 2014 12:08 AM in response to alp1116

This can happen, if you are having two versions of Aperture installed and launching the First Aid tools launched the older version or if Aperture is trying to repair the wrong library.

You can check the running version from the Dock, when you are seeing the First Aid Panel.

Ctrl-click the Aperture Dock icon and use "Options > Show in Finder". This way, you can make sure, that it is really Aperture 3.5.1, that is trying to repair the library. The revealed application will show you the version number.

User uploaded file

How did you launch the First Aid Tools? By clicking the library to be repaired or by clicking the Aperture application icon in the Applications folder?

To be sure, that you are using using the correct Aperture version on the correct library, check first without First Aid mode: Click the Aperture 3.5.1 icon in your Applications folder and see, which libary will open. If it is your main Aperture library, that needs repairing, go ahead and launch Aperture again from the Applications folder while holding down the alt/opt-command keys.

-- Léonie

Feb 28, 2014 12:45 AM in response to léonie

I have only one version of Aperture on my iMac and it is 3.5.1:

User uploaded file

I double checked with Spotlight and Finder and there is no other version of Aperture on my iMac. I opened Aperture by pressing Launchpad then clicking on the Aperture icon in Launchpad. I saved the icon to my dock when it opened. The library that opens when I launch Aperture, whether I launch it from the dock, from Launchpad or from the Applications folder is my unified library that it shares with iPhoto.

User uploaded file

Feb 28, 2014 2:05 AM in response to alp1116

I double checked with Spotlight and Finder and there is no other version of Aperture on my iMac.

And also no additional aperture on any connected backup drive or network drive?

Since you are sure, you are are opening the correct library with the correct Aperture version, backup your library and go through with the repair. The warning implies, that Aperture might be doing a rebuild rather than a repair, because of the version inconsistency.

The library that opens when I launch Aperture, whether I launch it from the dock, from Launchpad or from the Applications folder is my unified library that it shares with iPhoto.

You can check the version number of the library, that Aperture sees on opening, if you launch Aperture into the "Open Library" panel. Hold down the alt/option key when launching Aperture. Then the panel will show the Library version, that Aperture is seeing. Is Aperture showing the correct version number?

User uploaded file

Feb 28, 2014 12:33 PM in response to léonie

Here is the Open Library View #1:

User uploaded file

Even though my unified library is the default library, just in case this problem was being caused because of the Aperture 3 Trial Library version (even though that is not the library that Aperture was opening), I upgraded that library too. Here is the Open Library Info after that library upgrade:

User uploaded file

I retried the Aperture repair on my unified library and got the same error message on launch:

User uploaded file

But I am running the repair anyway because I do not know what else to do. I will let you know how that goes when it is finished.

Anna

Feb 28, 2014 12:51 PM in response to alp1116

But I am running the repair anyway because I do not know what else to do. I will let you know how that goes when it is finished.

The libray is shown as an iPhoto 9.5.1 library, that is a compatible version, and that should be o.k., Anna.

You may want to check the Dock icon, while the reair is running, to see the Aperture version that is launched.

Feb 28, 2014 12:55 PM in response to léonie

The repair seemed to run fine. I also ran the repair in iPhoto. So I still do not know why that error message is appearing, and I did double check the dock icon and it says Aperture 3.5.1, so that part is a mystery. But the information that you provided with regard to verifying the Open Library version was helpful and gave me the info necessary to feel okay about running the repair on my library, which is what I really needed. Thank you, Leonie.

Aperture 3.5.1 says this library was opened with a newer version of Aperture, repairing it with this version may damage the library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.