Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i bought an iPad on ebay that may be stolen

I bought an ipad on ebay that may be stolen. IT IS A HUDE DILEMMA. I have already talked to a police officer where I live but he will not file a police report.

I will explain the situation as best as I can. I bout an ipad on ebay and it said Steve's computer and had an Apple ID of a nother perosn. I contacted that person, in an attempt to find out of he is the rightfulowner of the ipad. He said it was stolen and he is the owner. I emailed him several times and found out her never made a police report of the "stolen" ipad. I talked to Paypal and ebay in an attempt to get my mpney returned. In order to get my money returned, I need the police report. I asked the "steve" the so called owner of the iPad to make a police report. He screamed at me on the phone and said he would in no way make a police report.I asked him why not. Then he canget his computer back. I hung up on him because he was calling me names.

All the time the seller was ignoring my emails. (Of course, a thief's bahavior.)

I opned a case on ebay. Then it turns out the seller has been talking to ebay representatives many times. They(ebay) emailed me many times and asked me to "work it out" with the seller. Ha! ha!

Of course I am very angry because I have an ipad that cannot be used because it is regsitered to someone else. I cannot get my money back and, as you will learn in the next section, I cannot report it as stolen.

I called the police and pone cam eot my house. He asked me how I got it. I explain that I bought it on ebay. Then I told him I have been emailing with who I think the owner is, Steve from somewhere in California. The officer said I should ask "Steve" to make the stolen computer report. I cannot make the stolen computer report in Hawaii, the police officer said, because the crime was committed in California.

Now a day later I get back on ebay and the seller is communicatinbg with me suddenly. (I guess she has had a chnace to make up a plausable story.)

She said that she sold the computer to someone on ebay.(Steve) He didn't like it and returned it to her but did not erase his ownership or apple registratiion details. She (seller on ebay) said that he is mad that she made him pay the return shipping so he is getting back at her by saying it is a stolen computer.In addition, I pleaded with this "Steve" to erase his ownership details so I can use the computer which I actually purachsed. However he refuses to erase his ownership or registration of the computer.

This is my probelm: I want my F______ money back but the seller won't give me my money back. And ebay said for me to "work it out with the seller"

Very funny! I am the only one who is loosing. I paid $350.00 for an iPad that I cannto even use. It may be stolen and it may not be stolen and a stupid police officer in Honolulu will not even report it.

What can I do?

I have the iPad. I have the serial number. Is ther a way of finind anything out about this computer with the serial number? (I would like to know if it is stolen. I would like to know who really owns it. I would like to get mymoney back and forget this crap ever happened.

Kim 1958 just another old person with a computer

iPad, ipad 4

Posted on Feb 28, 2014 1:09 AM

8 replies

Feb 28, 2014 1:40 AM in response to kim1958oldperson

You have a valid claim with eBay against the person who sold it to you. It was sold to you as a usable iPad. The person knew it had a persons ID on it , hence it was sold under false pretenses. Keep all your correspondence with all parties. File the claim within 60 days with eBay and Paypal. Step one is always work it out with the owner, you tried, now file the claim. If they are a legitimate business you'll get your money back, they can't afford the negative feedback. Remember the person knowingly sold you a iPad you could could never register. Misrepresenting a product is probably the number one no-no with eBay. Good luck.

Oct 10, 2015 3:08 AM in response to kim1958oldperson

Hi, Kim, I hope that others who have had an IPAD stolen can get the serial numbers required to make a complete police report. I know I will finalize my report and I hope the police find and charge the thieves with as many charges as they can to deter this kind of behaviour. It's not a nice situation to be in and you didn't deserve the treatment you received from EBAY OR THE SELLER.

I hope you can get a little compensation from EBAY as they should have followed it up with a Government department for their Customers security and for safer future transactions.

Good luck and keep me posted.

Oct 28, 2015 4:19 PM in response to kim1958oldperson

It took two years for my iMac to tell me that it was connected to the Sunnyvale School Systems in CA which occurred when I upgraded the OS to

El Capitan. My iMac was purchased in good faith on EBay the User just claimed did not want it any more , sent to me clean and on original box in perfect condition , now I find out that it was stolen not from a person but from a school system and this is big. i am getting the runaround from the school system tech dept who probably got insurance payment , but they won't release my computer from their servers which continually send an error message to my computer in the upper right had corner that says "Device Enrollment Sunnyvale School systems can configure your Mac," ,and yet they can't by calling Apple that is how I found out it was stolen and the guy who we bought it from claims he did not steel anything and even after complaining to EBay he is still selling things

Oct 28, 2015 4:46 PM in response to steph333

If you used your own credit card, simply call them to file a dispute and, after investigating the matter, they should be doing a chargeback (that is when they take away the money the seller got and issue a refund to you). That is the only way to handle it with hopes of success. +/- 90% of software sold on ebay is pirated or stolen; hardware apparently isn't far behind. I was sold a Mac Mini as new on ebay once and it had been used heavily as it was filthy. The owner did not want to cooperate until I filed the dispute with my credit card company and suddenly both Paypal and the seller agreed to take back the item and issue a refund. Mostly because of that incident, I will only do business on ebay using my own credit card as that is the only protection you have; Paypal is a joke and takes money out of your checking account - you are at their mercy at that point.

i bought an iPad on ebay that may be stolen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.