Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages OS X - Backup My Archive / History ?

I'm about to switch my internal HDD and reinstall OS X Mavericks, but it's very important that I don't lose my Messages history.

Can anybody tell me how I can backup my entire Messages archive, so that it's ready to be transferred to my new HDD? Is there a Finder location I can browse to, so I can copy the archive to my external HDD? Or is there a tool that allows export / import of my entire chat history? Before the question arises - I do not wish to migrate my current HDD to the new one.

I've heard that Messages uses iCloud to sync messages between Macs, iPhones and iPads. Is it purely for that purpose, or does it actually store your message history on the server too? Would just signing in on my new HDD allow me to access my chat history? Apologies if this is a duplicate post. I did spend some time looking for a similar question and couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance.

MacBook (13-inch Early 2008), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM

Posted on Feb 28, 2014 1:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2014 2:48 PM

Hi,

iMessages does not use iCloud to sync.

The iMessages Server is it's own standalone Server.

It "pushes" info (Data of each iMessages) to each registered device (iPhone Number and a Apple ID using peice of hardware).

(iCloud can be used to Sync the Contacts List but that is as close as it gets.

However it does seem the Apple ID does have to be iCloud Registered now which was not the case in Messages 7, Mountain Lion's version).

You iMessages "history" is stored in various database items in ~/Library/Messages.

Chat.db being the main one but the others are also needed.

If you are using Saved Chats then these are stored in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.ichat/Data/Library/Messages/Archive

To access the ~/Library you have to use the Finder > Go Menu whilst holding down the ALT key which then displays the Library.

You can also Copy the path(s) above and use the Finder > Go menu > Go to Folder and Paste them into the dialogue box.

Another way would be to use the FInder method to access the folder in it's current place

Then use the Time Machine icon in the Dock

This will show you the current folder.

If it is a clone of the original then you can go back in time and grab and "restore" the files.

This is more difficult with a drive that is not using the same Time Machine "history".

User uploaded file

10:45 pm Friday; February 28, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2014 2:48 PM in response to aka_dapper

Hi,

iMessages does not use iCloud to sync.

The iMessages Server is it's own standalone Server.

It "pushes" info (Data of each iMessages) to each registered device (iPhone Number and a Apple ID using peice of hardware).

(iCloud can be used to Sync the Contacts List but that is as close as it gets.

However it does seem the Apple ID does have to be iCloud Registered now which was not the case in Messages 7, Mountain Lion's version).

You iMessages "history" is stored in various database items in ~/Library/Messages.

Chat.db being the main one but the others are also needed.

If you are using Saved Chats then these are stored in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.ichat/Data/Library/Messages/Archive

To access the ~/Library you have to use the Finder > Go Menu whilst holding down the ALT key which then displays the Library.

You can also Copy the path(s) above and use the Finder > Go menu > Go to Folder and Paste them into the dialogue box.

Another way would be to use the FInder method to access the folder in it's current place

Then use the Time Machine icon in the Dock

This will show you the current folder.

If it is a clone of the original then you can go back in time and grab and "restore" the files.

This is more difficult with a drive that is not using the same Time Machine "history".

User uploaded file

10:45 pm Friday; February 28, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 1, 2014 11:49 AM in response to aka_dapper

Hi,

What might be the case now is the "Ownership" of the files you have moved.

The files on one drive can be considered the same way as if they were on another computer or from another Mac User account.

When you create the first Mac User Account on the computer it is always an Admin Account.

It gets given a shortname that tends to be your real name with upper case characters and spaces removed (Ralph Johns becomes ralphjohns)

Everything that gets stored in /Users/yourshortname is Owned by you (or rather that shortname).

If like me you use the same name to create the first Admin Account then this Ownership is computer or Drive related and is not "passed on" if the Mac User Account happens to have the same name.

Return to those Files and highlight them and do a Get Info (CMD + i keys together)

This opens the Info Panel

At the bottom is the section on Ownership and Permissions

If there are two names (i.e. both the old drive and the new one) seem to be associated with it you may have some sorting to do.

Most likely the name looks "right" but belongs to the old drive.

Highlight the name (it may or maynot have (me) linked to it as the Mac User account) and then the Cogwheel icon beneath the list.

This should be dark text if you DO NOT already Own it.

Here is a pic of a file I do own for comparison.

User uploaded file

The Mac User On this computer that I log in with is just called "Ralph" which is "ralph" in it's shortname form.

"Make "ralph (Me)" the owner" is greyed out as I already own this file.

In this pic I have moved a music file to an Account called "ralphjohns" on an external drive (/Volumes/Spare Boot in the top section but it is still owned by the "ralph" account.

User uploaded file

You may have to make sure the file belongs to the "right" User Account on this current Drive.

User uploaded file

7:49 pm Saturday; March 1, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

May 9, 2014 11:38 AM in response to YQX

Hi,

On the new Mac in ~/Library/Messages are there the chat.db items ?

Depending on the age of the "old" Mac's system it might pay to copy across the (if there are any) .incompatible variations.

Next we are talking about who Owns the files.

Basically once you have started your computer and created the Mac User account then any app that can do "Save As" will save the item and you are the owner.

This means that taking TextEdit for example will tend to Save to the Documents folder (~/Documents)

Any iMovie items will be saved to Movies and the same with Pictures and other files you might save.

If you then move files from one computer to another they retain the Ownership from the other computer - even if on both computers you happen to be the same name.

If you new Mac has a User called YQX it will not be the same Owner if the old Mac also has a User called YQX.

You will also have the same issue between Mac User Accounts on the same Mac.

In My Users folder the original Mac User (Admin) Account and the Migrated Mac User Account which is the one I am logged in with are both Present.

As you can see I can't access the ralphjohns one.

However I can login as ralphjohns and then drop things in the Public folder of another account.

I would then have to change the Ownership of that file.

If you have moved files you have to change the Ownership of them.

You have to display the Info panel like the two pictures above that I posted

If it lists a Different Mac User then you have to add the current one.

Then you have to Unlock the Padlock and use "Make NewUser the Owner"

User uploaded file

Migrating can help with this but things moved (copied) by Click and Drag may need sorting out.

Once this is done then the app is going to have to be restarted.

It may even pay to restart the computer.

User uploaded file

7:38 pm Friday; May 9, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Dec 4, 2016 11:12 AM in response to Skeptical Nerd

Hi,

I would say no.

The chat.db items store the iMessages but there seems to be no real way to edit them down to what you want.

Saved Chats which would be more applicable to AIM, Bonjour and Jabber chats it would be possible to access the Archive folder and edit the contents down the folders you need.

(a longer chat overs days, weeks or longer will saved in several folders, 1 for each "Session" or day)

User uploaded file

7:12 pm Sunday; December 4, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 10.x and an iPad (2)

Messages OS X - Backup My Archive / History ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.