Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A question for dwb

Hi dwb, would you believe after 2 yrs of lying dormant (as it would only seem to power up - I did keep checking from time to time), I tried doing what you said and it didn't work. So I looked at the cordless keyboard which was supposed to be on (as wasn't). I took out the batteries and cleaned up the coils and the iMac turned on... I had to press the power button first for a split second then the 'T' button. Then, it turned on!!! ;-)))))) The only issue I have with the iMac is that if you want to put it in Sleep or Log Out mode, it won't come back on... ??? Do you have any idea on this?

I have now copied the music I want and need (for relaxation and just cos) for a hospital stay next week from major surgery. I now have to back it up to an external drive - both iMac & MacBook!!!

I couldn't have done it without you dwb!!!

Jax (A happy Apple user & music listener again now!!! ;-)))))

MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 28, 2014 2:27 AM

3 replies

Feb 28, 2014 4:25 AM in response to FluffyJax

Glad you have your music and data. Definitely get them backed up. I'd suggest one external drive for each computer just to keep things straight. TimeMachine for the new computer. I don't recall if you mentioned what OS the iMac is using. If it has TimeMachine use that, if not SuperDuper! Is a good choice to back up the entire drive. Depending on the OS version of the iMac you may need to look on his site for the older version of SuperDuper!

Why it doesn't wake up? There are too many reasons to jump into without extra information. The first thing I'd suggest is restarting in Safe Mode which will test the hard drive's integrity and clean up caches. (reboot and then press and hold the shift key when you hear the chime. Let go when you see the Apple icon.) Next restart and if you have installed any anti-malware software or 'cleanup' software uninstall it. Finally, create a new account and reboot into it. Does it sleep and wake up there? If so you have something in your account that is causing the problem - perhaps a startup program. If it still crashes we'll talk.

Mar 2, 2014 2:15 PM in response to dwb

dwb, when I was in Canada in 2010, just before all the problems with the iMac, I bought Mac Tune Up, could that have been the problem? Can you please remind me how to find out if this programme (or others of the sort), is still on the computer. It has been (or seems to be) a long time since using Mac's. With PC's you can easily search for files, I have forgotten how to do it with Mac's.

Tx again. JAx

PS I have actually been living in 2 different places until today (at my parents where the iMac is), that is why progress on this is slow. I am going into hospital on Wednesday for major surgery on Thursday. I will endeavour to get this sorted beforehand.

A question for dwb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.