Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lack of Internal Drive on New MacBookPro..

I find the lack of an internal drive on the new line up of MacBookPros (apart from the basic 13 inch model) to be a real shortcoming.. every time I want to watch a DVD movie, to create a DVD or to download new software from a DVD, I have to plug in an external drive. And ever tried watching a move on your lap with a an external drive??.. not mentioning the drain on your battery of such a drive....

This is particularly an issue for creative types who now can't easily (or affordably) download work onto DVDs for clients.

Any solutions/thoughts/feedback please?

MacBook Pro, Windows 7, Bootcamp

Posted on Feb 28, 2014 2:44 AM

10 replies

Feb 28, 2014 3:10 AM in response to Titillator

The newest style MBP notebooks have been out for almost 2 years, the Retina Screen models, and none of them have a CD/DVD drive. Simple investigation before purchasing would of turned that fact up so you could base your purchasing decision on all the included hardware for what you need to do with the computer.

Now that you've bought one, not realizing the lack of an included Disc Drive, you come here to complain? To what end.

Feb 28, 2014 3:19 AM in response to Titillator

The Apple SuperDrive, which works with Retina and Air models, is lightweight and, although higher priced than some other external optical drives, works extremely well with Apple products. I send everything to my printer on CD's/data DVDs... so an optical drive is a must for me (plus the fact that I use it for archiving old jobs and data). Apple did away with the optical drives for a multitude of purposes, I suppose, but I am glad that they offer a very lightweight drive that can be shoved into a backpack with little effort.

When my Late 2011 gives up the ghost I suppose that I'll be forced to buy a totally closed, 'missing' optical drive Retina machine (although I am seriously considering a Sager 'gaming' laptop because of the powerful video available - plus a Thunderbolt port!).

Spend the extra $$$ and get the Apple SuperDrive -> http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD564ZM/A/apple-usb-superdrive?fnode=5f.

Good luck,

Clinton

Feb 28, 2014 3:39 AM in response to LowLuster

They are clunky! More 'desktop' than laptop - but, oh, such powerful graphics. Room for two regualr SSDs and two eSATA SSDs, powerful i7 processors, 17" screen, etc. If my MBP goes belly up after the AppleCare expires in 2015, I'm going to seriously take a look at one. I just can't stand a closed system. I don't believe. Plus, II've sort have become disgusted with Apple in the manner that they're NOT taking ownership of the manugfacturing defect with the 15-17" 2011 models (I've only had my logic board replaced once - some as much as 4 times).

I've been in contact with Sager and both my TB drives and Apple TB 27" display will work with the models that have a TB port... so... we'll just wait and see.

Clinton

Feb 28, 2014 6:21 AM in response to LowLuster

I talked to a photo pro about the lack of an internal drive on the new MBPs and he is also disappointed as, like many creatives, he can't easily transfer his work for a client onto a DVD (yes yes, you have the external drive but when someone is on the road, it's fiddly to attach an external drive etc)..

His solution (and mine) is to transfer work onto mini USB flash drives and give these to clients. And if you want to be really fancy, you can brand these drives with your corporate logo.

Problem remains though that this is NOT a cheap solution as an 8GB mini flash drive costs around $8 in the USA..

Hope this helps...

Feb 28, 2014 7:48 AM in response to Titillator

Titillator,

USB thumb drives are probably the way to go - but if your clients use Windows machines, be sure that you format them (on a PC) as ExFAT: you and Windows users will be able to access the flash drive and you can have large files on the drive.

I just ordered a new batch of USB flash drives from Amazon - I always get SanDisk Cruzers (although 3.0 USB thumb drives are available, they're just too expensive). But I would still get an external optical drive for archival purposes -> you don't want to amass a collection of flash drives for archiving your work!

Good idea...

Clinton

Lack of Internal Drive on New MacBookPro..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.