Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook vs Macbook Air

Hello.

I have a technical question, that might sound ignorant for some... but I would like to have it answered, please.

I had a Macbook - late 2010, which was stolen recently. I would liek to buy either a Macbook Air 13' inch or a Macbook Pro 13' inch (non retina).

My question is... (be aware that I know what are the hardware differences between these models)

1. Compared to a Macbook - late 2010, is the Macbook Air 13' inch better? Or less powerful? (I noticed that it has less SSD space & a different processor).

2. Compared to a Macbook - late 2010 the Macbook Pro 13' inch (non Retina) is better! BUT, is it better than the Macbook Air?! (I noticed that it has a lot more HDD space & a differente processor).

I'm aware that the Macbook Air doesn't have a superdrive (something I require to use in my line of work!).

And I'm aware that I can buy an external supeordrive & an external HDD for any of them.

Basically, I wanted to now what were the most negative aspects (in terms of harware) of both models, in comparition to the Macbook - late 2010.

Thank you for any information you may provide me.

All the best.

Posted on Feb 28, 2014 5:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2014 5:44 AM

The 13" MBP has not been upgraded in over a year so you are buying older technology. Its processor is more energy hungry and slower than newer processors of the same clock speed. Those are the two disadvantages but that's not to say it isn't a good computer. For someone who needs an optical drive on the road - especially off grid - it is a good choice. One reason I've held onto my 2009 MBP is because I do need to burn discs on the road ocassionally and I don't want to carry another piece of equipment. For every day use I've downsized to a 13" MBA precisely because I want to travel as light and gadget free as possible.

It is also a good choice for someone who has a limited budget and wants longevity. With the MBPr and MBA for longevity you have to upgrade now which can but a reasonably priced computer (for now) outside your budget (after upgrading for the future). The MBP memory and hard drive can be upgraded later when needed...though I'd suggest upgrading the RAM to 8GB immediately buying the RAM from a 3rd party vendor such as Crucial to get a better price.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2014 5:44 AM in response to JMPC

The 13" MBP has not been upgraded in over a year so you are buying older technology. Its processor is more energy hungry and slower than newer processors of the same clock speed. Those are the two disadvantages but that's not to say it isn't a good computer. For someone who needs an optical drive on the road - especially off grid - it is a good choice. One reason I've held onto my 2009 MBP is because I do need to burn discs on the road ocassionally and I don't want to carry another piece of equipment. For every day use I've downsized to a 13" MBA precisely because I want to travel as light and gadget free as possible.

It is also a good choice for someone who has a limited budget and wants longevity. With the MBPr and MBA for longevity you have to upgrade now which can but a reasonably priced computer (for now) outside your budget (after upgrading for the future). The MBP memory and hard drive can be upgraded later when needed...though I'd suggest upgrading the RAM to 8GB immediately buying the RAM from a 3rd party vendor such as Crucial to get a better price.

Feb 28, 2014 6:21 AM in response to dwb

Thank you for your help.

Indeed, I had noticed that the MBP has not been updated in awhile... Though, honestly, compared to my stolen Macbook - late 2010, it still is quite a good piece of hardware. Naturally, MBA's a very good choice... but the processor/SSD lack of 'quality' makes me thing that the MBP is a better choice...

If any one would like to share a different perspective, please do so. The more the merrier.

dwb thank you very much for your perspective on this subject!

Feb 28, 2014 6:53 AM in response to JMPC

What do you mean by 'lack of quality'? And if you are thinking that having an SSD is a disadvantage, I highly disagree. While the cost per gigabyte of an SSD is higher than that of a conventional hard drive, the speed more than makes up for it. After upgrading my 2009 MBP with a 256GB SSD it was like having a new computer and I decided then and there I'd never buy a computer with only a conventional hard drive again. If the time came when I had to replace my aging 2009 MBP and I decided to replace it with the current 13" MBP I'd immediately install an SSD.

Feb 28, 2014 6:58 AM in response to dwb

Personally, I believe that the most recent models (such has the Retina Displays & Air) have one thing that I don't enjoy: SSD! I mean, I enjoy that kind of hardware, BUT, I still think it has a low quantity of Gbs! Also, I still think it's too expensive to change to a better SSD!

Has for the 'low quality', I was refering to the Processor! I mean, I undestand that they're very good... but I noticed that the MBA has a lowwer processor, compared to the MBP...

If you believe I'm worng ore prefere to elaborate a bit more, please do it so. Any help before buying a new laptop will be very much appreciated! :-)

Feb 28, 2014 7:20 AM in response to JMPC

JMPC wrote:

Personally, I believe that the most recent models (such has the Retina Displays & Air) have one thing that I don't enjoy: SSD! I mean, I enjoy that kind of hardware, BUT, I still think it has a low quantity of Gbs! Also, I still think it's too expensive to change to a better SSD!

Yes, a drawback of the SSD is the relative high cost per gigabyte but the advantages include speed and durability. Working on your MBP on the bus that hits a pothole and your drive may be damaged. Not going to happen with an SSD. The SSD is so fast that virtual RAM is nearly as fast as real RAM. My 2011 4GB MBA feels faster than the 2012 8GB Mac mini. The mini has a much faster processor and more memory in every way the older MBA feels faster and in any operation that requires a drive access it is significantly faster. Even my 2009 MBP with an SSD feels faster than the 2012 mini. For me these two factors make the price per gigabyte moot.

Has for the 'low quality', I was refering to the Processor! I mean, I undestand that they're very good... but I noticed that the MBA has a lowwer processor, compared to the MBP...

Sure, it is older tech but that doesn't mean lower quality. Quality to me means how well it is made. I can buy a much faster HP notebook than the MBP but that doesn't make the HP a higher quality computer. Fact is, the HP is a piece of garbage - and I speak from experience.

Feb 28, 2014 8:04 AM in response to dwb

Yes.

Ok. You made everything very clear to me...

Naturally, it's a matter of making my math... I still will be thinking a bit more about it... but probably between a Macbook Pro (non retina) & a Macbook Air...

I need to buy an external HDD! With that in mind, the MBA is definitely a good choice! If the external HDD has enough Gbs, then no worries for me! :-) As for the external Superdrive: it is just a mater of finding a case to keep it! :-) I always thought my next one would be an iMac... but since my Mac was stolen & since I really need a laptop...

Thanks you for baring with my questions! :-)

I wasn't expecting the robbery to happen to me, so as you can imagine, buying a new Mac wasn't on my plans.

I really needed to think this through before making that commitement!

All the best to you! :-)

Mar 1, 2014 6:03 AM in response to dwb

Hi.

I was wondering if you could help me on one more thing...

I'll probably be buying the Macbook Air after all... But, my question is:

In terms of processor, how good is it, when working with Photoshop, Illustrator, inDesign?!

And in terms of 4Gbs RAM? Does that ammount cover most internet uses?! I mean, how does it handle the use of Safari, Mail, Facetime, iMessage?

For money reasons, I'll have to buy it on a store (not via website!).

So if I only find a 4Gb RAM model, that's what I get! 😐

Thanks for any info you may provide me. 🙂

Have a nice weekend.

Mar 1, 2014 11:09 AM in response to JMPC

It is natural to think the Air is Apple's answer to the low cost underpowered netbook. It isn't. I own a 2011 MBA and a 2013 iMac and I'm as happy to use Photoshop on the MBA as the iMac (especially when it's connected to my external display). I'd go for the 8GB model if at all possible from a standpoint of longevity but my 4GB MBA doesn't feel constrained at all. I frequently run Word, Mail, Safari, EverNote and FileMaker Pro at the same time, along with assorted helpers.

Mar 1, 2014 12:18 PM in response to dwb

Thank you. I got so used at my Macbook with 2 Gbs of RAM thant I always think that, it simple isn't enough! :-/

I started with Snow Leopard! Which was a very smooth and efficient experience! Lion was an awful experience on my Macbook! I only got a bit of tast on Mountain Lion, and I have to say that Mavericks worked very well! But 2 Gbs RAM was a pain...

Well... now I only need to buy one! ;-)

Hopefully my stolen Macbook will be found...

All the best to you!

Macbook vs Macbook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.