Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

[Mavericks Update Issue] Power button does not put computer to sleep.

After the newest update I can no longer put my iMac to sleep with the power button. Anyone else experiencing this?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Feb 28, 2014 4:49 AM

23 replies

Feb 28, 2014 4:03 PM in response to Jarrod Whitley

Jarrod Whitley wrote:

After the newest update I can no longer put my iMac to sleep with the power button. Anyone else experiencing this?

As Pappasbike says. I presume that Apple attended to the many complaints from Macbook and Air users who were accidentally hitting the button when hitting the Delete or Eject button. It was too sensitive as compared to Mountain Lion, Lion, Snow Leopard etc.

Pete

Mar 8, 2014 4:24 PM in response to antipoet

Sorry, people. I used to press the power button and my retina MBP went to sleep. Very nice. Now I press the power button, for 1, 2 count, or whatever, and I get the whole choice (sleep, shut down, turn-into-a pumpkin). Any way I can get back to my old default? (apologies to "Macbook and Air users who were accidentally hitting the button when hitting the Delete or Eject button")

Malcolm

Mar 8, 2014 5:58 PM in response to Malcolm Hamilton

Jarrod Whitley

Feb 28, 2014 4:49 AM

Jarrod- You can turn off this new sleep feature and restore the shutdown/sleep dialog box to pop up when you press the power button.

In Terminal copy & paste in the following command and then press enter:

defaults write com.apple.loginwindow PowerButtonSleepsSystem -bool no

[Mavericks Update Issue] Power button does not put computer to sleep.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.