Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WD Mybookworld (white light) - problem connecting to the server

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help. My Mybookworld White light just stopped connecting to my macbook earlier this week which has been used as my time capsule for about 3 years, so I blindly followed a process recommended on the apple support community from 3 years ago (copied below) of enabling SSH in the WD settings and then installing Netatalk 2.2 on the Mac and it had no effect unfortunately.

I now fear in installing Netatalk 2.2 I may have done something stupid. So I wonder how I would uninstall the Netatalk 2.2 to go back to where I started, or can anyone tell me if I should care that I have blindly installed Netatalk 2.2 without knowing what it might do to other parts of my MAC?

Also, and perhaps more importantly can anyone give me any tips on how to get the WD MyBookWorld to connect and stop returning the message "The was a problem connecting the the server MyBookWorld.local The server may not exist of it is unavailable a this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again'

I can still log into the WD on a web browser so I know its connected fine but I just can't figure out (or more likely not smart enough) why its just stopped recognising it.

Many thanks in advance

Panicking Paul.

Originally Posted by elppa User uploaded file

I've tried this fix posted to the WD Support forums (for the My Book World Edition).

I can confirm it works. Western Digital have committed themselves to a firmware update which will fix this issue (they did actually release one on 12th Sep, but had to pull it due to some issues), so these instructions should only be followed if you are not patient enough to wait.

The instructions take you to a forum post, which link you to a wiki post, which link you to drupal free.fr site, so for simplicities sake I have condensed below:

Part One - Turn on SSH (in the admin panel)
[1] Go to to http://mybookworld.local
[2] login: username will be admin, password will be whatever you have setup. If you can't remember it should be in your Mac OS X keychain (Utilities > Keychain Access, search for "mybookworld"). If you have not changed if from the default the password will be admin as well.
[3] Switch to advanced mode.
[4] From the System tab, pick Advanced.
[5] Enable SSH Access, and click submit.
[6] Click on the network tab and then the LAN button
[7] Make a note of the IP address

Small, maybe obvious, but nevertheless important point: For the install to work, your NAS needs to be connected to a router with internet access.

Part Two - Install netatalk2.2
[8] Open Terminal.app (Utilities > Terminal)
[9] Enter the following command (substitute in 127.0.0.1 for the actual IP address you noted down in step 7), then hit return:

Code:

ssh root@127.0.0.1

[10] When prompted, enter the ssh password (will be welc0me).
[11] You are now going to download the installer. Enter the following command, then hit return:

[12] Once completed, you will need to run the installer. Type:

Code:

sh install_netatalk.sh

[13] You will be asked a number of question during install, answer yes to all. When asked about the "DHX2 login process", I opted to install the modified version, so I can confirm it works.
[14] Once the box has restarted, you should be able to connect to your afp shares and continue to use Time Machine.

MacBook

Posted on Feb 28, 2014 6:54 AM

There are no replies.

WD Mybookworld (white light) - problem connecting to the server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.