Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade to Mavericks at school

I teach computer science at school. In the lab we have 15 iMacs with OS X 10.6.8. Sadly these computers have always been used with Windows and bootcamp, but I want to change that, so I've already changed the initial boot drive, created accounts and installed stuff. Can I legally upgrade to Mavericks ? If yes what account should I use to log in at the Mac App Store ? Obviously I don't want to use my personal one. Can I create a new account without any credit card or other payment options ?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 28, 2014 7:30 AM

11 replies

Feb 28, 2014 7:43 AM in response to tago

You best contact Apple as the licensing requirements for anything but "consumer" use is not completely covered in the SLA. This is important since any OS obtained at the app store is tied to the Apple ID used and only covers Macs which "you own or control". There is mention of volume licensing; however, it is not dealt with in detail, hence my suggestion that you call Apple.

Feb 28, 2014 8:07 AM in response to tago

My idea would be to create a new Apple ID without any credit card (if possible) and use that to upgrade all computers. What could be wrong ? The license says "that you own or control", so I guess I'm controlling them, or not ? Also, we are talking about a school, so there's no commercial use.

Feb 28, 2014 8:35 AM in response to tago

Here's what you're going to do:

1) Create a new Apple ID for the school

2) Download Mavericks on all the iMacs and proceed with the installation (OS X 10.9 is a free upgrade, so you shouldn't run into any legal issues)

3) Give yourself a little wink, knowing that you did your part to rid the world of that awful virus known as Windows.

Feb 28, 2014 9:32 AM in response to tago

My idea would be to create a new Apple ID without any credit card (if possible) and use that to upgrade all computers. What could be wrong ? The license says "that you own or control", so I guess I'm controlling them, or not ? Also, we are talking about a school, so there's no commercial use.

I would check with Apple as it appears to be covered under volume licensing; please read the entire SLA as well as the excerpt I'm showing here - since we are all other users and not employed by Apple or their legal department, we are not qualified to advise with legal issues.

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/OSX109.pdf

User uploaded file

Feb 28, 2014 9:40 AM in response to hc999

installation (OS X 10.9 is a free upgrade, so you shouldn't run into any legal issues)

Free or not, the SLA still applies and it is treated the same as one that was purchased (i.e. you are not allowed to sell a machine with Mavericks installed if you upgraded it to Mavericks - you need to sell it with the original OS installed).

Feb 28, 2014 3:14 PM in response to hc999

hc999 wrote:

2) Download Mavericks on all the iMacs

Not necessary. Download once, quit installer, and copy the installer app to somewhere other than /Applicaitons, since the ill-designed installer deletes itself during installation. That eliminates wasting resource, time, electricity, and bandwidth.

Upgrade to Mavericks at school

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.