Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Network Setup Help

Ok, looking to redo my home network a bit, and looking for some feedback. I have a decent understanding, but looking for opinions from some with a bit more knowledge.

First, my entire house is wired with CAT-V and RF cable, jacks (at least one of each) in every room, and a central control panel in a closet. The control panel is pretty basic. Lots of cables (from every jack in the house) just there, not connected, as well as the DirecTV cables, the Charter Cables (for internet and phone), a mini hub for all the RF (My rooms with DirecTV genie clients connected), a mini hub that the telephone modem goes to, which any cables connected to it turn the jacks in each room to Phone jacks.

Also in this control panel is my Cable Internet Modem. From there, I have the following set up (A picture seemed the easier way to provide this information.

User uploaded file

So my AirPort Extreme is plugged in to the Cable Modem, and from there, I have the three LAN ports filled. One to my living room, which the jack goes right into the DirecTV box. The control panel, my living room, and my downstairs "office" are down stairs. The downstairs "office" has my iMac, which is currently connected via WiFi.

The living room also has my Apple TV, the XBox, and the Wii.

Upstairs in my office is a D-Link switch (AirPort Extreme jack 2), which I have my printer, my work supplied laptop dock, and an AirPort Express connected to.

In another room upstairs, using port 3 of the AirPort Extreme jack 3, is the Mac mini.

Everything is good, but wondering if making the iMac, the XBox, and the Apple TV wired would be worth it. If so, what is the best option? Router? Switch/switches?

My first thought is to get a swtich for the living room, connect the DirecTV box, XBox and Apple TV to the switch. But I would really like to make the iMac wired, too. Would adding a switch in the control panel closet, and connect the mini and the iMac work? Would having 3 switches be ok?

Other questions/concerns:

What are the benefits of a router vs a switch? I would need a switch in my office, and a switch in the living room in any case, in order to wire everything that can be wired.

Would it be better to get a router, in addition to a switch for the living room? Put the router in place of the switch in the control panel, plug the iMac, mini and maybe the AirPort Express into that (I could move the Express to another room).

I want to make sure that Home Sharing for all the devices work.

Right now, the Express just extends the network. So my devices just connect to one network name. I want to keep it that way.

Thanks for all your help!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Feb 28, 2014 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2014 9:45 AM

Nice diagram, thanks. It makes your installation easy to understand.

Everything is good, but wondering if making the iMac, the XBox, and the Apple TV wired would be worth it. If so, what is the best option? Router? Switch/switches?

Assuming you are using Gigabit devices, including switches, a wired network will always perform better than a wireless one. Anything that is likely to demand a lot of bandwidth should be wired, as is anything whose physical location is not likely to change such as desktop Macs.

For devices whose main advantage is portability, such as MacBooks, wireless is the more important consideration. Therefore use Ethernet for your DirecTV, Xbox, Mini, iMac, printer, and AppleTV if at all practicable. A wired network avoids all the vagaries associated with wireless networking such as interference from various sources and the limited electromagnetic spectrum allocated to wireless networks.

You can use as many switches as you require to distribute the Ethernet network to its various clients. Note that your DES 1105 is not a Gigabit switch. The chance of that limiting your Internet speed is practically nil if you are in the United States, but if you want to stream video or copy large files to and from other devices within your LAN a Gigabit switch would be preferable. They are not much more expensive than a 100Base-T a/k/a "fast Ethernet" switch such as your D-Link.

With so many expensive wired devices, damage due to the imposition of higher than tolerable voltage on Ethernet cables as a result of nearby lightning strikes or other electrical anomalies can become a concern and is the only potential disadvantage over wireless communications. There are Ethernet surge suppressors on the market from reputable vendors. I think they're worth the small investment, but in the event of catastrophic damage only your homeowner's insurance policy is likely to help you recover from it.

What are the benefits of a router vs a switch?

A router is the heart of your network, and you should use only one unless you have a need to create more than one network. If you run out of Ethernet ports, simply buy another switch. An additional router would convey no particular advantage.

If you determine that wireless coverage to all parts of your home is insufficient, adding an additional wireless access point (an Express, for instance) to the wired LAN in an appropriate location would fix that problem. The Express you're using do to that as you descibe is ideal - it's not configured as a router, nor should it be.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2014 9:45 AM in response to iSRS

Nice diagram, thanks. It makes your installation easy to understand.

Assuming you are using Gigabit devices, including switches, a wired network will always perform better than a wireless one. Anything that is likely to demand a lot of bandwidth should be wired, as is anything whose physical location is not likely to change such as desktop Macs.

For devices whose main advantage is portability, such as MacBooks, wireless is the more important consideration. Therefore use Ethernet for your DirecTV, Xbox, Mini, iMac, printer, and AppleTV if at all practicable. A wired network avoids all the vagaries associated with wireless networking such as interference from various sources and the limited electromagnetic spectrum allocated to wireless networks.

You can use as many switches as you require to distribute the Ethernet network to its various clients. Note that your DES 1105 is not a Gigabit switch. The chance of that limiting your Internet speed is practically nil if you are in the United States, but if you want to stream video or copy large files to and from other devices within your LAN a Gigabit switch would be preferable. They are not much more expensive than a 100Base-T a/k/a "fast Ethernet" switch such as your D-Link.

With so many expensive wired devices, damage due to the imposition of higher than tolerable voltage on Ethernet cables as a result of nearby lightning strikes or other electrical anomalies can become a concern and is the only potential disadvantage over wireless communications. There are Ethernet surge suppressors on the market from reputable vendors. I think they're worth the small investment, but in the event of catastrophic damage only your homeowner's insurance policy is likely to help you recover from it.

What are the benefits of a router vs a switch?

A router is the heart of your network, and you should use only one unless you have a need to create more than one network. If you run out of Ethernet ports, simply buy another switch. An additional router would convey no particular advantage.

If you determine that wireless coverage to all parts of your home is insufficient, adding an additional wireless access point (an Express, for instance) to the wired LAN in an appropriate location would fix that problem. The Express you're using do to that as you descibe is ideal - it's not configured as a router, nor should it be.

Feb 28, 2014 11:23 AM in response to John Galt

John, thank you for the detailed response, and the simple explanation. Sounds like I will pick up a couple of Gigabit switches, looks like I can get a couple under $100 total. Then, replace the AirPort Extreme with the latest version soon.

Sounds like I don't need to replace my current switch, but will move the Express off it to another switch. Then it will just be my printer and work computer, which doesn't connect to any of my home computers anyway, will be on it, and won't be any speed issues.

As far as the surge suppressers, should it be one per device?

Home Network Setup Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.