Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mounting External Hard Drive via Time Capsule USB

Trust me, I've done my research, but I refuse to take 'no' for an answer. Also, most posts are pre-2013, so at least this will be a more current thread.

Goal:

- use external hard drive attached to Time Capsule USB, simply so I can move around the house without constatntly ejecting it.

- control this device as if it were mounted directly to my Mac

- ideally have TC do autobackups on this External hard drive also

My guess at a solution, but need help accomplishing it:

- TC won't backup a 'shared' device. Therefore, I need to somehow designate this wireless HD as an attached device, not shared

- It would need to be mounted independantly from the TC (which, I have inadvertantly done at one point, but it quickly dissappeared and I never got it to work again) as if it were directly wired into my Mac via its USB

As close as I've come:

- I've set external hard drive to only be accessed by my account under sharing options. But removing Sharing options entirely in system preferences makes the drive completely dissappear

- I've made sure the external drive is not being excluded from TC backups

- I've set the drive to 'open' upon login. It automatically connects great, but only under shared folder under the TC. I need to make it mount independantly!

- It won't show up in Disk Utility to try and make edits. Hardwiring to mac lets me fiddle with it, but when reattaching to TC, noting really changes

This is such a simple setup goal, and many users would benefit from it. I know, I know, Time Capsule "can't do this". Yeah, I bet it actually can, I just need to figure out a workaround and trick the system.

Regards. Thanks for your brainstorming.

Posted on Feb 28, 2014 10:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2014 12:21 PM

This is such a simple setup goal, and many users would benefit from it. I know, I know, Time Capsule "can't do this". Yeah, I bet it actually can, I just need to figure out a workaround and trick the system.

You cannot do it..

The TC is a network drive.. you cannot mount locally a network drive.. it is now and forever more a network drive. And therefore will appear under shared.

The TC cannot even back itself up. Nor does it handle USB drives particularly well.

You can however create a sparsebundle or dmg file on the USB and treat that as a virtual disk. It can be mounted in the computer.. but as long as you remember it is not a real drive.. and whatever disk utility does is more figments of imagination as it cannot actually touch the real disk.

See Q3 here. http://pondini.org/TM/Time_Capsule.html

The problem is that you can only mount the disk on one computer.

It is super slow.. being USB.. it would be slow but USB on a router over wireless.. count on it . .super slow.

You cannot backup with TM. You can trick some things but TM is harder to trick. You will need CCC or another backup software to back it up.. to where?? If you backup over wireless to another disk on the TC or even the internal disk.. slow will move to crawl.

Spin up will introduce fairly significant amount of latency. There are no spin up controls.. unless your particular USB offers it.. I don't know one that does.

Occasionally you will also find the TC will simply refuse to spin it up.. for whatever reason the spin up signal gets lost.. and the USB drive sits there .. quiet and sleeping.. a power down and power up will then be required.

TC is not a true NAS.. if you want a safe fast network storage.. buy a proper NAS.

Good luck.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2014 12:21 PM in response to everleigh

You cannot do it..

The TC is a network drive.. you cannot mount locally a network drive.. it is now and forever more a network drive. And therefore will appear under shared.

The TC cannot even back itself up. Nor does it handle USB drives particularly well.

You can however create a sparsebundle or dmg file on the USB and treat that as a virtual disk. It can be mounted in the computer.. but as long as you remember it is not a real drive.. and whatever disk utility does is more figments of imagination as it cannot actually touch the real disk.

See Q3 here. http://pondini.org/TM/Time_Capsule.html

The problem is that you can only mount the disk on one computer.

It is super slow.. being USB.. it would be slow but USB on a router over wireless.. count on it . .super slow.

You cannot backup with TM. You can trick some things but TM is harder to trick. You will need CCC or another backup software to back it up.. to where?? If you backup over wireless to another disk on the TC or even the internal disk.. slow will move to crawl.

Spin up will introduce fairly significant amount of latency. There are no spin up controls.. unless your particular USB offers it.. I don't know one that does.

Occasionally you will also find the TC will simply refuse to spin it up.. for whatever reason the spin up signal gets lost.. and the USB drive sits there .. quiet and sleeping.. a power down and power up will then be required.

TC is not a true NAS.. if you want a safe fast network storage.. buy a proper NAS.

Good luck.

Mounting External Hard Drive via Time Capsule USB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.