Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time capsule shows green lights but says unable to extend network

My TC shows green solid lights and the internet connection is exellent and I have no issues with the internet but when I launch the airport utility app and click on the disk I see a message saying time capsual unable to extend network check you're network settings. The ethernet cable is it suppose to connect from the fios ethernet port to the ethernet port on the tc or the wan/lan port?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 2.8GHZ i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Posted on Feb 28, 2014 12:46 PM

5 replies

Feb 28, 2014 12:53 PM in response to PokemonFan1987

The TC should be plugged into the FIOS, by ethernet from LAN port on the FIOS to WAN port on the TC.

Your TC should be in bridge mode.. the FIOS will function as the router for the network.

Your TC wireless should be in create a wireless network.. you cannot extend the FIOS wireless.

Create a network.. and you have then a number of choices.

1. Turn off wireless in the FIOS. Just use the TC.. that is probably the best solution for most people.. except that it is useful to have a guest network and the TC in bridge cannot do it.. then you can use the FIOS for it.

so

2. Leave both wireless on and working.. but with different names. (SSID)

Use the FIOS for guest network.. keep the TC isolated for your use.

3. Roaming network where you have the same name, same security and password.. and the computer will choose whichever network is the best in the location. This is fine.

See http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4260

Feb 28, 2014 5:23 PM in response to PokemonFan1987

Thanks but how do you do two things:

Create a guest network on fios but still have it set up to use a password.

You don't create a guest network as such unless your particular version of the FIOS (there are lots of models I think) can also do guest network.. I do not have a FIOS modem so I cannot tell you.. but you simply use the existing passworded wireless for guest.

Use the TC with a different network name.. thus you have a guest network with password.

The 3rd suggestion

3. Roaming network where you have the same name, same security and password.. and the computer will choose whichever network is the best in the location. This is fine.

Roaming network is exactly what I have described..

Same SSID.. same security same password.

So if the FIOS router has FIOS as SSID. Set wireless name in the TC to FIOS

If the FIOS has security to WPA2 AES so does the TC.. WPA2 Personal it is called.

If you set the FIOS wireless security password to qpasogfjgjh set the TC wireless security password to qpasogfjgjh

You now have a roaming network.

See

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4260

The apple instructions are for two apple routers but it makes no difference if they are two FIOS routers or a FIOS and an Apple router.

time capsule shows green lights but says unable to extend network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.