Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a virus or malware on my computer. This is the website that pops up when I open Google in Firefox on my Mac 10.8.5. What can I do to fix this problem?

I have been reading about Java and how it is not good for my computer. Today I downloaded some new update from Java (supposedly) that has caused problems on my computer (10.8.5). What can I do to fix this?

Posted on Feb 28, 2014 12:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2014 1:00 PM

If you got that Java update from anywhere but Oracle's web site, it's almost a certainty you installed a Trojan. If that's the case, there's no telling what it does. Could be a keylogger, back door, etc.

Beyond that, yes, Java is so full of holes Swiss Cheese is envious. Unless there's some trusted site you can't use without having Java on, turn it off and leave it off.

Note that JavaScript has nothing to do with Java. Leave JavaScript on.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2014 1:00 PM in response to pib1617

If you got that Java update from anywhere but Oracle's web site, it's almost a certainty you installed a Trojan. If that's the case, there's no telling what it does. Could be a keylogger, back door, etc.

Beyond that, yes, Java is so full of holes Swiss Cheese is envious. Unless there's some trusted site you can't use without having Java on, turn it off and leave it off.

Note that JavaScript has nothing to do with Java. Leave JavaScript on.

I have a virus or malware on my computer. This is the website that pops up when I open Google in Firefox on my Mac 10.8.5. What can I do to fix this problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.