Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing Camera & FaceTime apps on iPhone 5 and iPad retina 4G

Hello Community! I hope I can get support here.

Brief explanation:

Sometime in the last two days on my iPhone 5 iOS 7.0.6 and in the past 24 hours on my iPad mini retina iOS 7.0.6 the FaceTime and Camera apps have dissapeared. Even trying to take a picture from iMessage I am only given the option to choose a picture from camera roll. Opening and app like Camera+ or Instagram or YouTube Video Capture either does not have a camera option or it displays errors that say"Video recording unavalilabre. Could not initialize video recorder" and "Having a problem using the camera on your device, Please check your settings and try again" and some apps just display a black square and flipping the camera to the front one doesn't do anything. I first noticed this on my quick access camera icon on the bottom right hand corner on the lock screen, the one you flick up to take a quick pic, which was missing.

Here's what I've done:

Disabled Restrictions so there are NO restrictions on the phone and iPad whatsoever;

Reset Settings

Reset home screen (saw that trick in another forum)

Deleted most apps that use the camera including the ones mentioned above such as Mirrorgram, Kaleidoscope, 360. I've kept skype and whatsapp that both use access to camera normally but for me the options to take picture are not included.

Restarted without any apps running in task manager.

Hard Restart

Insults such as "Puto iPhone" and the such…

Ask Siri, she says I have no Camera app installed :/

NONE of these have worked

What has partially worked is erasing all settings and content from within the phone.

IF I set up the phone as new the camera works, records, hdr, the works. Not a hardware issue.

BUT when I restore from a recent backup (after the icon dissapeared) the icons for Camera and FaceTime are gone.

IF I restore from a backup (all through iCloud) earlier then when the camera dissapeared, say 4 days ago: there's the camera and it works! After a few minutes it's gone again toghether with FaceTime!!

Sooooo, I'm in México in North America and people around me with iPhones all have the icons, even those with the 7.0.6 update… It's not a hardware issue, it's an issue probably related to an update but I cannot erase all my apps!!

Any suggestions? I'd really appreciate all advice including speculation…

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.6, White

Posted on Feb 28, 2014 12:59 PM

7 replies

Feb 28, 2014 1:03 PM in response to xhili.mx

Connect the iPhone to the computer and iTunes and restore as new, not from a backup. Do not put anything else on the phone and see if the camera and Facetime show up. If they do, then it is not hardware, it was an iOS issue. It seems strange that this is happening to both of your devices. Where did you purchase these devices, Apple or an authorized reseller?

Feb 28, 2014 1:10 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hi Chris!!

I know my post is long but I did this erase content and setting and the camera and facetime work!! But If I don't restore I'll loose months or years of info from apps that have no iCloud backup of data except for the general backupp whch has to be fully restored… you see the problem… I'm thinking maybe erase all apps except those I mentioned and try a restore with the bare bones apps… I'd like to avoid that though…

r.

Missing Camera & FaceTime apps on iPhone 5 and iPad retina 4G

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.