Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why did iTunes delete some of my older music? Please, please, please help!

After my old PC crashed, I transferred everything over to my new computer. All my old files were saved in a separate sub-folder. Some of the music was ripped from CDs, some purchased from iTunes. When I connected my iPod nano (4th gen) to merely back up, iTunes instead deleted random albums and music from, not only my iPod, but my music library as well. Some of the deleted music was purchased (& still available) thru iTunes. Other deleted music was from ripped CDs, some of it available on iTunes, some on older CDs that aren't currently available. It felt like someone coming into my home & tossing out possessions at random - I'm irritated and confused. I have an external HD with all the music supposedly on it (my son made the copy), but how do I get all this music back into my iTunes library? I know, I can connect the HD to my computer & copy all my old music files back to the desktop, but iTunes will not "find" them. I found if I merely copy a file rather than move it, iTunes asks for the original source of the file, whether it's a cd, thumb-drive, or external drive. And, if it deleted them once, I'm sure it'll do it again. I don't wish to lose the only remaining copies of these music files. Any advice would be welcome!

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.6, iTunes won't display device music l

Posted on Feb 28, 2014 10:52 PM

2 replies

Mar 1, 2014 5:20 AM in response to cyn37211

I have an external HD with all the music supposedly on it (my son made the copy), but how do I get all this music back into my iTunes library? I know, I can connect the HD to my computer & copy all my old music files back to the desktop, but iTunes will not "find" them. I found if I merely copy a file rather than move it,

In iTunes on your new computer, go to Edit > Preferences > Advanced, and check the box for "Copy files..."

Now connect your external hard drive and add the files to your iTunes library.

Mar 20, 2014 10:19 PM in response to ed2345

Thanks! I'll give this a try tomorrow...I had thought of creating a new folder on my desktop & copying all the music into that, then open iTunes & copy from the new desktop folder. I also have an old Creative zen player, which has most of my classical music on it; they have free downloadable software that's supposed to work with win 7, but iTunes converted it to the Apple format, so I'm afraid to hook that up. Also I have a Phillips MP3 player with music that's no longer on any of my storage devices, I don't know if they've even upgraded their software to work with win 7 or Apple format. Both of these devices are about 10 yrs old, but work like new. But, they haven't been synced in at least 6 years.

Why did iTunes delete some of my older music? Please, please, please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.