Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot play songs, the following comes up - Itunes has detected a problem with your audio configuration. Audio/Video playback may not operate properly. Can anyone help. Cheers Wade Johnson

Cannot play songs, the following comes up - Itunes has detected a problem with your audio configuration.

Audio/Video playback may not operate properly.

Cheers

Wade Lawrence

iPod nano, Windows XP

Posted on Mar 1, 2014 4:16 AM

3 replies

Mar 20, 2017 6:49 PM in response to CarlAVII

Allen,

I have the same issue as Wade. I installed iTunes on my (new) Laptop and was using it with no issues. I attempted to open iTunes today and received the 'iTunes has detected a problem with your audio configuration. Audio/Video Playback may not operate properly.

Note: I did NOT have QuickTime installed on my Laptop prior to receiving this message. I then uninstalled iTunes and reinstalled it and still have the same issues (same error message and none of my files are playing). I also installed QuickTime to see if that may fix the issue with no luck. I uninstalled Quick and re-installed it and still no luck.

Please provide guidance.

Thank you,

Dave

User uploaded file

Mar 30, 2017 12:51 PM in response to Wade Lawrence

In iTunes use Edit > Preferences > Playback and look at the entry for Play Audio Using. This will normally be set to either Direct Sound or Windows Audio Session. Changing the setting may help. If not change back to the original value and try once more. Failing that see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates and in particular the second box for a full tear down and rebuild.

Note that QuickTime for Windows is no longer supported and does not integrate with current versions of iTunes.

tt2

Mar 3, 2014 1:51 PM in response to Wade Lawrence

Hello Wade,

This is typically indicative of an issue with the installation of QuickTime on your computer. The following article provides steps for reinstalling QuickTime to resolve the issue.

"iTunes cannot run because it has detected a problem with your audio configuration"

Resolution

QuickTime may need to be reinstalled. Follow the steps below to uninstall QuickTime and then download and install QuickTime using the QuickTime standalone Installer.

1. On the Start menu, click Control Panel.
  2. Follow the steps appropriate for your Windows operating system below.
    • Windows XP and Windows 2000: Open the Add or Remove Programs control panel and selectQuickTime in the list of currently installed programs.
    • Windows Vista and Windows 7: Click Uninstall a program (or if using Windows Vista's Classic View of the Control Panel, click Programs and Features) and select QuickTime in the list of currently installed programs.
  3. Click the Remove button (or Uninstall for Windows Vista and Windows 7) and follow the prompts to remove QuickTime from your computer.
  4. Download QuickTime. Note: There are two options for downloading QuickTime, be sure to select the option that does not include iTunes.
  5. During the download:
    • If you choose to run the installer, proceed to the next step.
    • If you choose to save the download, double click the QuickTimeInstaller file, then proceed to next step.
  6. Follow the on-screen instructions to install QuickTime.
  7. Reopen iTunes.

iTunes for Windows: iTunes cannot run because it detects an issue with QuickTime

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1371

Cheers,

Allen

cannot play songs, the following comes up - Itunes has detected a problem with your audio configuration. Audio/Video playback may not operate properly. Can anyone help. Cheers Wade Johnson

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.