Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is iOS6 or higher completely off the table for iPad 1. I have a well functioning device and have no imperative buy a new one except that it is becoming obsolete due to Apple's inability to provide update opportunities.

Is my iPad1 the victim om planned obsolence? I'm stuck with iOS5 and fewer and fewer apps are available below iOS6.

iPad, iOS 6

Posted on Mar 1, 2014 5:19 AM

3 replies

Mar 1, 2014 5:40 AM in response to iPad1woes

I don't know if it is planned obsolescence or just the fact that the iPad 1 is three years old which is ancient in terms of electronic devices. Developers are looking at the newer operating systems and there have been several updates since iOS 5. So, yes, it will still function but to use the newer apps, you will need to get a newer device.

Is iOS6 or higher completely off the table for iPad 1. I have a well functioning device and have no imperative buy a new one except that it is becoming obsolete due to Apple's inability to provide update opportunities.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.