Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing a pre-iOS7 app version

Some attention was given to the fact that when iOS7 came out, a possibility was offered to install versions of an app that didn't require the latest (and not-so-greatest O:-) ) version of the OS. I've been able to do just that a number of times (though I cannot remember if it concerned applications that I already had installed, or also new apps).

Now, I tried to install an app that's free for today, and that definitely existed before iOS7 came out ("Just Six"), but neither my iPhone 4s nor my 3rd gen iTouch (that can run't even run iOS6) allow me to install an older app version. Is that due to a change in Apple's policies, a choice of the app's author, or because the feature only existed for updating already installed applications?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.2, 32Gb

Posted on Mar 1, 2014 6:57 AM

5 replies

Mar 1, 2014 7:12 AM in response to RJV Bertin

If you didn't ever have the older version on your device, you won't be given the option to download it. What you'd need to do in that case would be to download the current version of the app to your computer using iTunes and the same Apple ID. Then, when you go to the App Store on your iPhone/iPod, it will recognize that you've already purchased the app and offer you the option to download the compatible version if it's available.

Mar 6, 2014 1:43 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks Meg St._Clair — this worked out fine for me (only to discover in the end that the app didn't conform to my expectations, but that's a different topic 🙂 )

Something went wrong clicking on the "this answered my question" link in the email notifications, sorry about that (Apple should allow several answers to a single question... instead of letting one pick one's own posts as helpful!)

Message was edited by: RJV Bertin oh jolly, I can pick my own posts as helpful to my question!

Mar 6, 2014 4:43 AM in response to RJV Bertin

The forum system allows you to pick one post as the "This solved my question" and two as "This helped me.". Sometimes, it's useful to be able to apply those categories to your own post if you figured out the answer to your own question. But don't stress to much about it. You got your question answered and that's what's important!

Best of luck.

Installing a pre-iOS7 app version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.