Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is wrong with my mac?

Basically over the past week my mac has suddenly started acting up, It seems perfectly find but then the screen will suddenly either turn blue(sometimes with white stripes across it), black, or just freeze up, sometimes the fan gets incredibly loud when this happens, sometimes its silent, when I try to restart it it wont get past the blue screen, on the occasion it does it will freeze again after a couple of minutes. The only way I can get it working again is to either go into safe mode, or go into disk utulities, or this : "Start your Mac while holding down the command and s keys. Continue to hold both keys down until you see a few lines of scrolling text on your display. It will look like an old-fashioned computer terminal. At the command prompt that appears once the text has stopped scrolling, enter the following: mount -uw / Press enter or return. Enter the following text: chown root / Press enter or return. Enter the following text: chmod 1775 / Press enter or return. Enter the following text: Exit Press enter or return. Your Mac will now boot from the startup drive"

Sometimes one will work and sometimes it wont, I just have to keep going through all the different processes until it works again, and when it does work again it will only work for a couple of hours, sometimes a day, and then it will happen again. When I do go into disk utulities it says that nothing needs repairing. Seeing as I've had it for 3 years the warrinty has expired and I can't afford to get it repaired.. :/

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 1, 2014 7:26 AM

11 replies

Mar 1, 2014 8:01 AM in response to GreenLady121

From your description it sounds like it may be a graphics card issue. I wanted the model number to see if it's a 6,2 which is from mid-2010 and very prone to that problem. You sure you don't see a serial number on the bottom of the case? It's very tiny, but there's a lot of writing in white back there by the hinge.

Mar 1, 2014 8:14 AM in response to GreenLady121

If you can identify it we can tell you whether or not there has been a recall on the model.

Go to the Apple Menu, press the option key and select System Information (it will be at the top of the menu, right under the Apple) When SI opens look under Model Identifier, there will be a 2 digit number with a comma in the middle, what is it.

what is wrong with my mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.