Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TextEdit - restoring missing fonts

I have TextEdit set up to use Garamond as my default font for both plain text and rich text documents. I was recently looking over other fonts to use as a default, and decided to go back to Garamond, which is when I discovered that Garamond is now missing in TextEdit. I've never deleted any fonts (to my knowledge, at least), and Garamond still appears in Font Book, but only under All Fonts and User. It's missing under Computer.

How can I bring Garamond back to TextEdit?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 1, 2014 8:20 AM

12 replies

Mar 1, 2014 8:56 AM in response to Mr. Magoo

I forgot to mention about validating fonts, in case your Garamond is damaged or duplicated.

Perhaps it is time to clear out your font cache and rebuild it, via booting into Safe Mode.

1. Shutdown your Mac.
  2. Apply power. At the chime, press and hold the shift key until you see a horizontal progress bar.
  3. Finish typing your password. Before you proceed with login, press and hold the shift key again.
  4. Release the shift key when you have a Finder menu bar.
  5. Reboot normally

See if Garamond has returned to active duty.

Mar 1, 2014 11:09 AM in response to Mr. Magoo

I just did the following in the Terminal on my machine. It removes the System and your local font caches. The password is your login password. It is not echoed back to you. Triple-click the command sequence below, copy, and then paste in an open Terminal window. Press return. When the command finishes, immediately reboot your machine, and then see if Garamond is now available in Font Book.

Terminal:

sudo atsutil databases -remove

Mar 1, 2014 1:27 PM in response to Mr. Magoo

We have rebuilt System and User font databases, and still no Garamond. It is not damaged or duplicate. And it appears in Font Book's All Fonts and User, but not Computer categories.

The fonts that I have installed in my User fonts location do not display in Font Book's Computer category, because they are user private fonts, that are not installed in System locations.

Have you retried assignment of Garamond font to the TextEdit preferences font categories from All Fonts category?

Unless it is an incompatible true type font, by now, it should be functional.

One additional item. With Finder, right-select the Garamond Font and choose Get Info. Under sharing privileges at the bottom of the Get Info panel, you should see that you and group staff have read & write, while everyone (else) has read-only privileges.

Mar 1, 2014 2:05 PM in response to VikingOSX

VikingOSX wrote:

Have you retried assignment of Garamond font to the TextEdit preferences font categories from All Fonts category?

No, how do you do that? I can see that I can add a new Collection, but I can't add anything to the Family column.

Otherwise, I've tried adding the font back to the Computer category in Font Book, but I can't seem to find the Fonts folder in the Finder when I'm searching for a new font. Not sure why that is...

VikingOSX wrote:

One additional item. With Finder, right-select the Garamond Font and choose Get Info. Under sharing privileges at the bottom of the Get Info panel, you should see that you and group staff have read & write, while everyone (else) has read-only privileges.

I have three Names in there: HomeFolder (Read & Write), Fetching (I think it's my system looking for someone's info, but I'm not sure who, but it's Read Only anyway), and everyone (Read Only).

As far as I know, the font's bone-stock from OS X: version 2.35, modified 4/7/04 (not sure where that date came from, since this laptop's from 2007 and the OS is newer...)

Mar 1, 2014 4:51 PM in response to Mr. Magoo

Font Book 198: About font collections.

Move the Garamond font from your login account/Library/Font folder to the Desktop. Double-click it to install it in a System location. It will now show up in the Computer collection within Font Book. You may have to activate it. Make certain that each typeface within your Garamond font does not show “Off.”

Your Garamond font sharing privileges are ok.

In TextEdit Preferences > New Document : Plain text font: Change... Select the All Fonts Collection. Scroll down until you find Garamond font, its typeface, and size that you want. That's what I meant, however vaguely put.

Mar 1, 2014 5:22 PM in response to VikingOSX

I followed your instructions, but it's still not installed in my Computer collection.

I double-click the font on my desktop, and the separate font window opens in Font Book. It says the font isn't installed, and I click the Install Font button. The font installs somewhere automatically (I don't know where, it just installs). I look at my Computer collection in Font Book, and the font's not there. I double-click the font on the desktop again, and the window says it's not installed, so I click Install Font again. I then get a warning saying that it's a duplicate font.

I checked TextEdit, and it's still not showing up in the fonts list in Preferences.

TextEdit - restoring missing fonts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.